Throttle issues

wonga

hello everyone, I have a Aurion prodigy 2010 3.5 v6 goes awesome, love the car but..... recently I have had unintended throttle activations, no not floor mat or way I have foot on pedal/s. happens when parking and thank who ever I have brake pedal covered, it just surges like a bull . has happened 3 times in last 6 months. like I said have all the basics covered , I keep the car clean, mats anchored and dead flat. anyone with tech no how would be appreciated as Toyota are keen to suck my dry of cash by conducting ongoing tests etc

I dont know how to read fault codes, my opoligie for being so not up to date 

I have a recall on the window switch to be fixed on Friday, I have asked them to look at this issue then, I can remember before the first time it happened I had the traction control light come up on the dash which I thought to be a fault, I went home and housed out wheels and wheel arches , I thought mud may have done this due to wet weather and a muddy patch on the driveway. and a day or so before that i adjusted the rear park brake shoes ,maybe I caused this fault some how by activating the park brake during testing the adjustment and some how effected traction control setting, I remember reading somewhere there is some sequence activating park and foot brake to deactivate traction control and maybe I have accidently half done this and caused a glitch?????

I have good mechanical skill as I am a plant mechanic but was on industrial equipment and never was exposed to car computerisation.

The TCS light is telling you there is a fault, to turn TCS off is quite a long sequence of actions, it is very unlikely you accidentally did this, also it resets to TCS on every time the ignition is turned off.

Go with Trent's recommendation and have the computer fault code read, you have to start somewhere ay.

Like yourself, I have good mechanical skills but not so with electrics and electronics. 

Rather than pay SuperCheap $15 or $18 to read the error code/s, I bought a cheap OBD2 scanner tool on eBay; different model to this one on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBD2-Scanner-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-New-MaxiScan-Autel-Car-Diagnostic-Tool-AU-/252955082954?hash=item3ae54c40ca:g:HhQAAOSwcB5ZJVAS

The On Board Diagnostics [OBD] port is easily located on the driver's side under the dash of your Aurion; right hand side of the steering wheel. Regular use and doing Google searches of any error codes certainly is a great help to diagnose issues.

Difficult to track down an intermittent problem like your engine surging when parking.

My immediate thoughts were the intake system, anything that could impact upon the engine idling.

Have you cleaned the throttle body, the idle control valve and the mass airflow sensor? I would also be checking/lubricating the throttle cable. Also no harm in putting in some fuel injector cleaner in the fuel tank. At least, these are all good maintenance items.

OK. Best make that checking/cleaning the throttle Position Sensor which is attached to the throttle body.

Did a Google search with the terms "toyota throttle position sensor problems"  which indicated sudden idle surges as a symptom of a faulty throttle position sensor. ANother post pointed to carbon build up [I am presuming in the throttle body].

my aurion doesn't have a throttle cable, totally elec control pedal, but yes I am getting the codes read this Friday by Toyota, and I appreciate you guys suggesting some points to look at and I a going to but the diagnostic tool, maybe one that can clear fault codes. any future cars will need it. I will keep posted and maybe this may help others.

carbon build up??? damn maybe I need to take it for a blast!!!!. damn wife drive like a sissy:ph34r: 

Edited by wonga

When you clean the throttle body [thoroughly] then you will most likely see all that sticky black carbon build up which can potentially affect the throttle opening. If you look at some YouTube videos, then you will see what I am talking about.

On my 1998 camry with the throttle cable, you could tell when the throttle was sticking due to this carbon build up. After cleaning, the accelerator pedal was so much smoother to operate..

took to Toyota on Friday door the window switch lube recall, they did a computer down load ( log of events I assume) and checked the fault codes, they have informed me there was nil fault codes and the vehicle is in perfect working order?? . I don't trust this diagnosis, do u think possible they repaired a issue and kept quiet to avoid a major recall?? was so surprised at nil faults found. funny enough Toyota didn't charge me for code read and log download, which they originally informed me would be a minimum surcharge. lol . call it paranoia or are the worms wriggling out of the can.

You are paranoid. It probably didn't throw a code. 

Considering you are the first person that I have seen complain of this in 10 years of Aurion production, I doubt there will be a major recall any time soon.

I very much doubt they repaired anything. Sometimes intermittent faults happen. As a mechanic, these are the most frustrating of all.

Sorry to hear about your surge issue.

I'd follow what campbeam has offered. His advice makes sense.

Get yourself some throttle body cleaner (I have one by CRC) and give it a thorough clean and then take it out on the freeway for a clear out of the cobwebs.

By the way.. LOL.. don't blame your poor wife. She is a safe driver.

Let us know how you go.

Good luck :thumbup1:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wonga said:

Has happened 3times this year

I am referring to your conspiracy theories about the dealer, not the actual fault.

5 hours ago, wonga said:

I thought dealer would of went more indepth with fault finding

They ran diagnostics and I am assuming the fault wasn't present at the time they inspected it. There is not much more you can expect from them.

Can you describe what happened at the time? Was your foot on brake or acc? Flat ground? Was the acceleration like fully flattening the accelerator? Was car warmed up?

Were any of these things the same each time it happened?

was just covering brake and idling into car park 2 times , and 1 time just started ,put into gear and it did it. all 3 times the brake stopped it and was ok . the 3 times have happened in approx. evenly spaced intervals between January and now. before this all happened only changes were- new wind screen and park brake adjust, and oil and filter change and new air filter fitted. am really careful doing air filter not to get any debris into, prolly over cautious

• 2 months later...