Front Rotors/pads

Hi Gents, 

After washing my Aurion yesterday noticed some scoring on the right front disc. No big deal as I am planning to replace the pads and flush the brake fluid.

I am wanting to replace the rotors too as I don't believe in having them machined.

Are the genuine Toyota issue rotors expensive ?

What recommendations would you make on rotors and pads ?

Should I just stick with Genuine parts ?

Are the 40 series the same as the 50 series ?

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Additional info

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Hi Gents, 

After washing my Aurion yesterday noticed some scoring on the right front disc. No big deal as I am planning to replace the pads and flush the brake fluid.

I am wanting to replace the rotors too as I don't believe in having them machined.

Are the genuine Toyota issue rotors expensive ?

What recommendations would you make on rotors and pads ?

Should I just stick with Genuine parts ?

Are the 40 series the same as the 50 series ?

There is nothing wrong with machining rotors. They have a minimum thickness for a reason.

Genuine rotors are generally quite expensive.

RDA, DBA and Protex are all industry standard rotors. DBA is usually my pick. Bendix, Ferodo, etc. for pads.

Unless you like throwing money into a fire, there is no reason to stick with genuine brake parts.

• Like 1

Personally, I would not be too concerned if it only light scoring on the disc. Rightly or wrongly, I have not bothered with machining rotors and just replaced brake pads. It is most likely because I am gentle on my brakes, drive defensively with extra braking distance so any hard braking is an exception.

I would definitely recommend measuring the thickness of the rotor then make the decision whether to replace them. Perhaps you will be surprised how little they have worn.

For quite some time, I have been researching replacement rotors for the Aurion. OEM rotors are quite acceptable for my driving needs but more likely to go to a slotted rotor for presumably extra braking performance. RDA slotted rotors are more attractively priced on eBay than DBA.

I have RDA rotors on the rear. You could take the opportunity to find kluger calipers from a wrecker - I paid $160 for a set off a 2011 kluger, bought discs from ebay - rda also and its all a direct fit. No cutting, forcing... it all just fits exactly. The only catch is wheel size. I have 18 inch, I think they fit in 17s too. 

2 piston calipers, larger discs. 

On 23/07/2017 at 7:37 AM, campbeam said:

For quite some time, I have been researching replacement rotors for the Aurion. OEM rotors are quite acceptable for my driving needs but more likely to go to a slotted rotor for presumably extra braking performance. RDA slotted rotors are more attractively priced on eBay than DBA.

When I was reading into it, the general consensus was that slotted/drilled rotors don't offer any performance gains, it's purely visual aesthetics.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LordBug said:

When I was reading into it, the general consensus was that slotted/drilled rotors don't offer any performance gains, it's purely visual aesthetics.

This is incorrect.

They help to cool the rotor, which turns kinetic energy into thermal energy. The faster you can cool the rotor, the better it will perform.

You probably won't notice this on a drive to the shops...unless the shops are on the other side of a mountain or a race track.

Yes that YouTube Video eventually supported my thoughts that if you drive/tow/brake hard to potentially overheat / warp the original rotors then you need to have higher specification quality rotors.

After reading this URL including the comments, don't even think about buying budget rotors.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2013/10/04/tech-101-how-to-choose-the-right-disc-brake-rotors/

• 1 month later...

OEM specification new 28mm thickness; 25mm minimum thickness.

I have also got light scoring on my front rotors. More noticed how worn down the Bendix Ultimate brake pads are after 2 years of light braking use. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Pair-DBA-Brake-Rotor-DBA2709-Fit-Toyota-Aurion-3-5-06-ON-/142102444918?fits=Make%3AToyota|Model%3AAurion&epid=866372791&hash=item2115f73b76:g:7QIAAOSw3yxZmhd3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently inspected my front rotors/pads. Pads are almost due. I was also surprised at the wear of the right front disc though.

I don't have a decent set of verniers, but I suspect it's more than likely surpassed the minimum thickness.

Looks like I'll definately be up for some new rotors when I replace the pads.

The 1st pic is the passenger side.

The 2nd is the drivers side.

20170827_075412.jpg

20170827_075719.jpg

Recommend that you get a decent set of verniers first. You can also check with your fingernails if there is much of a lip on the outside of the rotor.

I bought replacement front rotors and brake pads for girlfriend's Yaris only to find when I measured the existing rotors that they were hardly worn. Mislead myself by just looking at the amount of heavy rust in the cooling vanes section and thinking that they were originals [ from 2007] and needed replacement.

Take a look at the caliper that is worn heavily on the inside. The slides or piston may be sticking.

The rotor 100% needs replacing. Replace as a pair.

Verniers can give a false result if the lip on the rotor is larger than the recess in the vernier caliper. A micrometer is a better option, but it may be cost prohibitive.

I will definitely be replacing as a pair.

I was somewhat surprised at the excessive wear of the inner side of the drivers rotor.

I plan to get two new rotors and pads. Hopefully the right caplier doesn't give me too much grief.

I might just remove the driver's caliper first and see if there is something sticking before I proceed with the new parts. If so, I can correct or replace the caliper if need be.

I'm trying to research the correct replacement rotors.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the factory stock item so I can compare heights ?

I'm getting a consistent diameter of 296mm, but some vary on the height.

What can the height difference affect ?

Also, there are rotors for Aurions with Advics and PBR brakes...???

How do I know which  one I have ?

I'm at work atm and my wife drives the Aurion. 

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Added another question

Thanks Ash.

I actually have been scouring Ebay and saw the one you've linked.

That one appears to be the most expensive of the street series direct replacement rotor.

I also found these. The specs are near identical, are from the same series, with the exception of a slight height difference.

You have this one.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-DBA-En-Shield-Standard-Rotor-DBA2726E/282413870055?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Then this.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-DBA-Standard-Rotor-DBA2705/281704951193?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

If they are almost identical, why the huge price difference ?

I have messaged the seller about this, and they haven't responded yet.

You think it's just a marketing gimmick ? 

I just received my Bendix brake pad delivery. I settled on the GCT series Bendix. The HD series is a little overkill for what I require. We don't drive our Aurion hard to warrant higher spec rotors or pads.

Wow ! Ordered yesterday afternoon from nolan-australia off Ebay and accepted delivery about 10 minutes ago.

How's that for service. 

All I need is the front rotors and I'll be in business for the full job.

I'll also be flushing the fluid while I'm at it too.

20170925_155338.jpg

20170925_155442.jpg

16 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Unless the seller has updated the ad, the "huge" price difference is a whole $4, which doesn't even buy you a coffee these days.  And the 0.2mm height difference (which is bugger-all) is probably due to the thickness of the anti-corrosion coating on the rotor hat.  For all intents and purposes, the two rotors are the same size.