Front Rotors/pads

31 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I bought this kit mainly because the rear brake pistons on a Honda Accord had to be wound in rather than pushed in. Also as Trent mentioned on 17.10.2017, 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-22pc-Disc-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Rewind-Tool-Kit-Set-Auto-Wind-Back-Car-/131333507488?epid=12002922740&hash=item1e941649a0:g:oVAAAOSwrklVWdaI 

A lot of Euros now run the sprial style pistons. Thankfully, you won't need that specifically for the Aurion.

On 10/21/2017 at 1:16 AM, krigeroz said:

Excellent workl!

For changing brake pads is necessary to use a disc pad spreader?

Thanks Peter. 

For pushing the piston back a medium sized G clamp found in most sheds will be fine. I placed a thin block of timber over the piston prior to pushing. Also don't forget to remove the master cylinder cap and watch the fluid level as you squeeze. The old fluid (and should be low due to the worn pads and pistons almost reaching their full range) may come up and spill out. You can just put a clean cloth in to soak up the excess or a syringe.

10 hours ago, LordBug said:

Last time I did the pads, which was on my TRD may she rest in peace, I found I could compress the pistons by hand/finger strength alone.

Yes, this is also possible in certain circumstances. I have been lucky like that in the past. Using a compression tool is much easier though.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

You up for some new front pads there Pete ?

I was changing the brake fluid to  Penrite dot 4 and inspecting the pads as well. This was my first time and I found it was more challenging than replacing the ATF. All that area covered with dirt and dust, so it took me some time to clean with a brush. Then pumping that fluid out was another challenge :ohmy:

The brake pads still got some life in them but need to grease calipers and pistons. Now I have to go back to lubricate everything with the Bendix ceramic lube, which is made by  Permatex, just got it from Repco for $6, three packets. 

I also doing sound deadening on wheel archers and doors at the same time. 

And changed the fog lights to Lexus led type

20171014_131005_HDR_resize.jpg

20171006_144811_HDR_resize.jpg

20171102_191831_HDR_resize.jpg

20161215_154134_resize.jpg

20161215_150236_resize.jpg

20161215_141846_resize.jpg

20161215_122138_resize.jpg

Edited by krigeroz

• 4 months later...

Replaced ~3 weeks ago the front rotors and pads on my 2008 Aurion, the front disk was warped and was driving me crazy. The parts I used were:

- Rotors: RDA 7686 off eBay

- Pads: Bendix DB2243 from Repco, perfect fit. Lucky I went in there otherwise I would have bought DB1474 which are off by few millimeters. Bendix have a comparison between the two: https://www.bendix.com.au/news/comparing-db1474-db2243-toyota-camry-aurion-v40

Strongly suggest using a torque wrench, including for the wheel nuts. Make sure you don't make the rookie mistake I made: I've installed the 2 pads with the wear indicator on the same wheel :)

On 02/11/2017 at 8:13 PM, krigeroz said:

I was changing the brake fluid to  Penrite dot 4 and inspecting the pads as well. This was my first time and I found it was more challenging than replacing the ATF. All that area covered with dirt and dust, so it took me some time to clean with a brush. Then pumping that fluid out was another challenge :ohmy:

The brake pads still got some life in them but need to grease calipers and pistons. Now I have to go back to lubricate everything with the Bendix ceramic lube, which is made by  Permatex, just got it from Repco for $6, three packets. 

I also doing sound deadening on wheel archers and doors at the same time. 

And changed the fog lights to Lexus led type

20171014_131005_HDR_resize.jpg

20171006_144811_HDR_resize.jpg

20171102_191831_HDR_resize.jpg

20161215_154134_resize.jpg

20161215_150236_resize.jpg

20161215_141846_resize.jpg

20161215_122138_resize.jpg

Why did you deaden the car ?

Does it have too much road noise coming through ?

Did it make any difference? 

Where did you buy the deadening material ?

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Looking at replacing front discs and pads. Anyone have some up to date suggestions re good prices, including parts to avoid?  Family car, doesn't need performance gear. Cheers

Edited by boxerboy

I'm using RDA discs with Bendix GCT DB2243. Be aware on Aurion there can be 2 types of pads, DB1474 or 2243. See this article: https://www.bendix.com.au/bendix-news/comparing-db1474-db2243-toyota-camry-aurion-v40

I'd avoid the really cheap Chinese nonames and stick with the brands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

RDA rotors is a good choice. However, I bought the following front rotors on eBay but have yet to fit them. I also bought the rear rotors too

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SLOTTED-VMAXS-fits-TOYOTA-Aurion-GSV40R-2006-Onwards-FRONT-Disc-Brake-Rotors/122678193968

I also use the Bendix Ultra Premium pads [proven product] but the General purpose will also suit my driving requirements.

I drive smart so trying to avoid any unnecessary hard braking and most of my driving is essentially urban. However, I do an annual interstate open highway trip so my vehicle is set up for an emergency hard braking. Long past experience was having to do a hard brake from 100kph down to a standstill to avoid a head on collision. Still remember the cloud of tyre smoke drifting by after becoming stationery. Also do not overlook having good quality brand name tyres to enhance braking performance and safety.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 6:51 AM, campbeam said:

vouch for vmax, i have them on right now, but i have aggressive pads (qfm a1rm). ive also used rda rotors and dba t3s .

rda and vmax come from the same person. but i wouldnt get anything other than slotted/blank discs from these guys, (even the dimpled ones will turn or look like a blank disc after) if you're in the northern suburbs of melbourne, you can pick them up from there. 

From experience the bendix general pads are okay for day to day normal driving, but the moment you take it on a spirited run, or even some downhills with some braking. Your fluid will cook, and your pedal will loose brake feel. i found remsa pads ($50) to be a bit better and cheaper compared to the bendix generals ($75)

On 6/13/2019 at 9:53 PM, AurionX2 said:

Be aware on Aurion there can be 2 types of pads, DB1474 or 2243. See this article: https://www.bendix.com.au/bendix-news/comparing-db1474-db2243-toyota-camry-aurion-v40

i may try the 2243 pad in the near future, thanks for the info !

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Looking at doing my front Rotors and pads soon. Any opinions or advices of DBA T2 slotted rotors, and bendix ultimate pads ? I'll be getting a mechanic to do it. 

1 hour ago, Bigmike62 said:

Looking at doing my front Rotors and pads soon. Any opinions or advices of DBA T2 slotted rotors, and bendix ultimate pads ? I'll be getting a mechanic to do it. 

I have no objection to either there BigMike. Nice combo if you plan on driving spiritedly for a while. It'll cover all your bases.

I'm not sure either if you're mechanically inclined or have access to some tools, because it's a very easy job if you wanted to tackle it yourself to save a few bucks.

You'll need to push the pistons back in the calipers to accommodate the meaty new ones and the fluid will need to be bled if it hasn't been already.

If you decide to do it, we can guide you or look online for a DIY.

I did mine a little while back and it was a breeze.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tony for your opinion and advices. I can't do the job myself, but have a good Independant mechanic I've started to go to, who will do it. I will buy the products through Repco I think and supply to the mechanic. Do you know how many hours Labour might be required to do this job ? 

22 minutes ago, Bigmike62 said:

Thanks Tony for your opinion and advices. I can't do the job myself, but have a good Independant mechanic I've started to go to, who will do it. I will buy the products through Repco I think and supply to the mechanic. Do you know how many hours Labour might be required to do this job ? 

Shouldn't take more than a couple hours. The rotors and pads can be done in around an hour and then say half hour for fluid bleed/flush and then another half for final inspection and road test.

He may even do an inspection of the rear and adjust if necessary.

It is a pretty easy job on these Camry/Aurions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Nice combo if you plan on driving spiritedly for a while.

I drive smoothly in that I try to avoid any hard braking. I have been using Bendix Ultimate pads for many years. I could go for their General pads but I prefer to have my Aurion setup for long distance cruising/driving.

Original rotors are still fine but have yet to fit these rotors [both front and rear] I bought on eBay many months ago. Probably need to wear out another set of brake pads

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SLOTTED-VMAXS-fits-TOYOTA-Aurion-GSV40R-2006-Onwards-FRONT-Disc-Brake-Rotors/122678193968 

I have done a bit of internet searching about braking distances and the best $$$ upgrade is a set of new tyres. In a recent post, I mentioned in a recent post that Michelin Primacy 4 [New Generation 2018/9] are now on my short list but I am not expecting to be buying tyres for quite some time. If you have deeper pockets and want a performance tyre, then you would have probably noticed good reviews for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres.

Just now, campbeam said:

I have done a bit of internet searching about braking distances and the best $$$ upgrade is a set of new tyres. In a recent post, I mentioned in a recent post that Michelin Primacy 4 [New Generation 2018/9] are now on my short list but I am not expecting to be buying tyres for quite some time. If you have deeper pockets and want a performance tyre, then you would have probably noticed good reviews for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres.

The Pilot 4s look tempting and looking at the price, there isn't all that much in it between the Primacy 4 and the Pilot 4. Just wondering if the Pilot Sports are as quiet and long lasting as they claim for the Primacy...

Tempe Tyres here in Sydney have them for a great price

https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyreproducts?michelin-2155517-98w-pilot-sport-4-st

https://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyreproducts?michelin-2155517-94v-primacy-4-st

Edited by Tony Prodigy

5 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I have no objection to either there BigMike. Nice combo if you plan on driving spiritedly for a while

i do, bendix ultimate cooks if you are hard on the brake in your spirited drive, especially downhills.

id go remsa pads @$50 vs bendix

EDIT: 

On 6/15/2019 at 6:11 PM, jeffy said:

vouch for vmax, i have them on right now, but i have aggressive pads (qfm a1rm). ive also used rda rotors and dba t3s .

From experience the bendix general pads are okay for day to day normal driving, but the moment you take it on a spirited run, or even some downhills with some braking. Your fluid will cook, and your pedal will loose brake feel. i found remsa pads ($50) to be a bit better and cheaper compared to the bendix generals ($75)

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

+1 for these rotors, cheaper than DBA T2, you can even opt for cheaper blanks instead of slotted

8 hours ago, jeffy said:

i do, bendix ultimate cooks if you are hard on the brake in your spirited drive, especially downhills.

Sounds like you're racing around Jeffy 😁 in which case any brake pad will cook. Aurions aren't capable of such a driving style unless it's smacked down to the ground with racing tyres etc.

Spirited driving isn't all out flat chat hard, which you probably wouldn't get to do on the road anyway, but the occasional moment. We're getting too old for all that kinda stuff anyway and I want to keep my points too.

If the bendix ultimate has a slightly better overall feel and stopping power under normal conditions, then yeah, I'd advocate for it.

Safe motoring 👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jeffy said:

bendix ultimate cooks if you are hard on the brake in your spirited drive, especially downhills.

Experience matters more so than marketing blurb. Nice to know that Jeffy indicated a nod of approval for the VMAX rotors which I bought being cheaper than DBA.

Now put the Remsa Ultra Ceramic pads on my eBay watch list.