It was the alternator, replaced it and everything is back to normal now. But the replacement job is an Absolute Royal PITA. Hopefully I'll never, ever have to do it again. We chose not to remove the fans assembly, only disconnected the upper coolant hoses and pulled the radiator forward as much as we could. Big mistake, by doing this we really struggled with the lack of space around the alternator and I also had to disconnect the A/C line underneath to be able to access the bracket that supports it. At least now I have good charge, more than 5litres of new coolant and a freshly regassed aircon system ($120 additional expense).

Hey Adrian, sorry to hear you had to go through all that, but at least it's fixed now and should be good for a very long time.

I did suspect the alternator and am a little bit surprised it had failed on a 2013 car. It's not really that old either. Perhaps some contamination had entered the alternator ?

When I wash my engine bay I always cover mine with a plastic bag to keep it dry, not to say that this is what occurred in your case. Just saying.

Is it possible that the alternator can ingest moisture when driving through rain ?.  Not sure how much of it would be subject to the incoming air stream nor have I inspected mine after having driven in rainy conditions. 

Maybe the lacquer on the windings was  a little thin in some spots or the reg just gave up.

How much did you pay for a replacement alternator ? Did you get a new one or 2nd hand ?

6 hours ago, AurionX2 said:

It was the alternator, replaced it and everything is back to normal now. But the replacement job is an Absolute Royal PITA. Hopefully I'll never, ever have to do it again. We chose not to remove the fans assembly, only disconnected the upper coolant hoses and pulled the radiator forward as much as we could. Big mistake, by doing this we really struggled with the lack of space around the alternator and I also had to disconnect the A/C line underneath to be able to access the bracket that supports it. At least now I have good charge, more than 5litres of new coolant and a freshly regassed aircon system ($120 additional expense).

Thank you for sharing your experience. Definitely agree that replacing the alternator on the Aurion is time consuming and not so simple. I followed the process in this Youtube video except that I drained the radiator first before disconnecting the radiator hose.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAgFfeWbaMQ  

Even with the fan assembly removed, it is a juggling act for both the removal and installation of the alternator. I was also able to access the bolt on that bracket without having to disconnect an A/C line.

Because it is not a simple bolt off and bolt on procedure, it is worth paying the extra for a quality alternator.

• Like 1

Tony, the alternator went on my 2008 Aurion. Should it die on my wife's 2013 car I'd get HER to do the replacement job, can't wait to see her struggling with undoing the lower bolt behind the wheel well with 2 different socket of different lengths and 3 ratchets! The alternator is aftermarket, bought for just under $300 from Auto8 in Wangaratta, Vic. Came with 5 years warranty, should hopefully last at least double that 🙂

Edited by AurionX2

15 hours ago, AurionX2 said:

The alternator is aftermarket, bought for just under $300 from Auto8 in Wangaratta, Vic. Came with 5 years warranty, should hopefully last at least double that

Alternator on my Oct. 2006 Aurion went after 207500km. Sounds like I bought from the same eBay seller back in March 2019. Supplied alternator ended up being the OEX brand 

Still going strong and currently getting a workout recharging a recent flat battery from my standby Aurion.  

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Alternator-for-Toyota-Aurion-GSV40R-3-5L-Petrol-2GR-FE-10-06-03-12/111372269393?fits=Model%3AAurion&hash=item19ee4df751:g:GqMAAOSwGhpe8gvH

Why are the alternators to Aurion dying at such an early age ? Seems strange. I would certainly recommend avoiding charging a flat battery with the cars own alternator to avoid stressing it out & shortening its life.

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Alternator on my Oct. 2006 Aurion went after 207500km. Sounds like I bought from the same eBay seller back in March 2019. Supplied alternator ended up being the OEX brand 

Still going strong and currently getting a workout recharging a recent flat battery from my standby Aurion.  

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-Alternator-for-Toyota-Aurion-GSV40R-3-5L-Petrol-2GR-FE-10-06-03-12/111372269393?fits=Model%3AAurion&hash=item19ee4df751:g:GqMAAOSwGhpe8gvH

Yep, that's the one I bought.

1 hour ago, ZZT86 said:

Why are the alternators to Aurion dying at such an early age ? Seems strange. I would certainly recommend avoiding charging a flat battery with the cars own alternator to avoid stressing it out & shortening its life.

Early ones were having issues, iirc Denso have 2 different part codes for this alternator, they've changed the code in 2008 and the revised version is the supposedly better one. My Aurion was built in 12/2007