White Smoke from exhaust?

SkuxxAzn

Hey all, I just picked up my 07 Aurion SX6 Sportivo, and on the way home I decided to give it a little "Push" (When the speed changed from 60 to 100) as I did that an immense amount of white smoke came out of my exhaust, so dad and I pulled over and gave it another rev. It blew white smoke again. Then, once we got home we wanted to test it again (With the bonnet up to see if we hear anything) and it was blowing black smoke (Dad says it's petrol smoke) but we didn't hear anything out of the ordinary, in fact it ran perfectly fine. If anyone knows what might be causing such a thing please let me know, it's not even 3 hours in my ownership and it's showing signs of being a lemon

This topic has bee n covered a few times in this Forum. It should have come up with a Search in this Forum. 

Does this Aurion have a good service history? Did you buy it from a dealer with warranty or private seller? Typical of a lot of modern engines, the 2GR-FE engine is prone to oil sludge if it is not regularly maintained and quality oils used.

Suggest that you check the PCV [positive crankcase ventilation] valve. It may be blocked by oil sludge and need to be cleaned and/or replaced.

Remove the oil fill cap and check the front valve cover for accumilated oil sludge. I use a thickshake plastic straw to poke around down the sides of the head. If there is lots of oil sludge, then the best option is to remove the front valve cover and give the cover and oil channels a thorough cleaning/degreasing.

White smoke on start up.doc

On 8/19/2017 at 1:53 PM, campbeam said:

This topic has bee n covered a few times in this Forum. It should have come up with a Search in this Forum. 

Does this Aurion have a good service history? Did you buy it from a dealer with warranty or private seller? Typical of a lot of modern engines, the 2GR-FE engine is prone to oil sludge if it is not regularly maintained and quality oils used.

Suggest that you check the PCV [positive crankcase ventilation] valve. It may be blocked by oil sludge and need to be cleaned and/or replaced.

Remove the oil fill cap and check the front valve cover for accumilated oil sludge. I use a thickshake plastic straw to poke around down the sides of the head. If there is lots of oil sludge, then the best option is to remove the front valve cover and give the cover and oil channels a thorough cleaning/degreasing.

White smoke on start up.doc

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure how I missed the post you linked.

We did buy it from a dealership and it has 12 months warranty, so we should be all good with repairs/servicing. 
I used a KFC straw to poke around and we found a good amount of sludge exactly where you stated. I'll be taking it to Toyota (Have a couple of buddies that are mechanics there) to get it serviced and to have the sludge issue solved.

Thanks again for your knowledge!

Edited by SkuxxAzn

There was a similar post from another member some time ago.

As I recall, the dealer ended up removing and thoroughly cleaned the front valve cover to resolve the sludging and smoking issue.

Oh boy, yet another sludged up 2GR-FE from lack of regular oil changes.

These engines are susceptible to sludging as most know, if regular servicing isn't attended to.

Use a high quality fully synthetic oil once you've had the engine desludged to prevent this from occurring again.

Go back to the dealer and explain the problem. Mention that you did some "research" on some reputable Toyota Forums... This should get them morivated to help rectify the issue.

Keep is posted. :thumbup1:

17 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Oh boy, yet another sludged up 2GR-FE from lack of regular oil changes.

These engines are susceptible to sludging as most know, if regular servicing isn't attended to.

Use a high quality fully synthetic oil once you've had the engine desludged to prevent this from occurring again.

Go back to the dealer and explain the problem. Mention that you did some "research" on some reputable Toyota Forums... This should get them morivated to help rectify the issue.

Keep is posted. :thumbup1:

We took it into Toyota yesterday afternoon and will be picking it up today. One of my friends has been assigned with fixing the car so I'm giving him "encouragement" to do a good job :tongue:

What kind of oil would you recommend?

Good to hear.

Without creating an oil war, I've been very happy with the Nulon product.

Made in Australia and is a very high quality oil for a sensible price.

Occasionally super**** auto have them on special so grab yourself a few when they do.

5w-30 is the one for the 2GR-FE.

It meets and exceeds the factory requirement.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Trying to upload an image from my gallery but the options won't allow it. Bummer

Hopefully they have taken both valve covers off, sump & checked/cleaned everything properly. I'm stumped as to why so many people out there choose to save $55 on an oil & filter change & potentially causing hundreds if not thousands in damage from neglect. Just amazing.

As you mentioned in another post, your car is back and the dealer has advised regular servicing to avoid sludge build up. You will definitely need to do this otherwise you can expect them to reject any future warranty claims for engine sludge.

Because I do a lot of short distance driving, I clean the oil filter cartridge monthly and then change the oil and cartridge at least every 5,000 kms.

Perhaps you can consider having the scheduled services done at the dealer to maintain your 12 month warranty and do an additional interim oil change to keep any oil sludge build up under control.

I am very much DIY since a young fellow helping my Dad do grease and oil changes on Holden Utes.

The following URL will give you an idea of the oil housing location and the oil filter cartridge is inside.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=2+gr+fe+oil+housing&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=xJWiWe6zLqfr8AfvvobADQ

I buy my oil filter cartridges in bulk from an eBay seller.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-Fit-For-Toyota-Genuine-OEM-Oil-Petrol-Filter-04152-YZZA1-Pack-Kit/182355687844?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I buy quality oil with the latest SN and/or GF-5 specification [for better sludge protection] when on special at SuperCheap, AutoBarn, Repco etc. Usually 10W-40 is the cheaper special.

By looking at the link you've provided and an online guide, it's actually really simple to do! My daily trips are usually around 20 minutes (minimum) Would that be considered a "short" drive or are we talking like just a 5 minute drive to the store?

My friend whom was working on my car noted that my drive shaft were leaking/spewing grease. I'll get the photos now, would you know what might be causing that?

2017-08-27 21.05.24.png

2017-08-27 21.05.28.png

Edited by SkuxxAzn
Uploading drive shaft photos

19 minutes ago, SkuxxAzn said:

My friend whom was working on my car noted that my drive shaft were leaking/spewing grease. I'll get the photos now, would you know what might be causing that?

Is the car lowered? If it is, then the driveshaft length will have been shortened and the compression may be causing the grease to spew out.

If not, it may have a split in the boot or the band may be loose.

Car isn't lowered yet. I'll see to it that it gets fixed seeing this may lead to hundreds if not thousands of dollars to get fixed if left ignored

Edited by SkuxxAzn

Yes, always best to deal with these issues as soon as they are detected.

It will be a good idea to ask your friend to check the rear VVT i oil line. Hopefully it has been replaced/upgraded to the full metal line. If not, the mid rubber hose section is a ticking time bomb; just a matter of time when it will develop a leak. It is propbably a $500 repair job. Your friend should know exactly what I am talking about.

Another separate but related issue is the oil cooler hoses. Something else your friend should know.

Campbeam is on the money when having to deal with a post sludge car.

Get a dozen of those filters and do regular... regular oil changes to eventually purge and dilute the crud. 

Looks like that car may have had a period of neglect. Possibly one of the many owners may have been responsible for the poor servicing.

It is salvageable,  but you just need to be vigilant for a while.

My dad had a 2000 model Avalon.

Not my cup of tea, but uses the same engine. It did over 300, 000 kays and the engine was still in great order.

He Sold that and purchased an Aurion less than 2 years ago now.

He totally loves the aurion.

@Tony Prodigy I've already ordered like 10 or 15 of those filters to store in my garage, and one of my dad's friends said that he replaced all of his company cars from Holden utes etc to Aurions, says they're one of the best cars for reliability and performance 

The Aurion is far superior to Holden or Ford cars. Your dad's friend is spot on.

I've owned Toyota cars for most of my driving history and can honestly say that I've never had anything go wrong.

The Aurion is a sleeper car. A beast.

It has the power to accelerate past most other cars and yet be a comfortable, safe and economical vehicle.

Those who don't own an Aurion are seriously missing out.

I've chopped a few falcons and commodores and I only get 2 types of responses:
The "I'm going to look ahead and pretend that didn't happen"
The loser fly by (Not sure what term you use but it's where they just fly past you after losing)

On 27 August 2017 at 4:50 PM, campbeam said:

As you mentioned in another post, your car is back and the dealer has advised regular servicing to avoid sludge build up. You will definitely need to do this otherwise you can expect them to reject any future warranty claims for engine sludge.

Because I do a lot of short distance driving, I clean the oil filter cartridge monthly and then change the oil and cartridge at least every 5,000 kms

What do you do to clean the oil filter cartridge?

I place the filter cartridge in a can the half-fill with petrol. Agitiate/swirl the cartridge around in the can, then empty. Repeat and let air-dry.

I usually check the cartridge before and after for the amount of sludge caught in the filter material. I also check the petrol for the undissolved sludge which looks like coffee grounds

• 1 month later...

Just giving an update.

Had my car hoisted up on Friday 27/10/17 to get the Main cat removed (dont worry it still has 2 more)

Noticed a large amount of black sludge on the under side of the car (It could be oil? Or it might be the grease from the drive shafts seeing as it had the solidly of grease.

On Sunday 29/10/17

Drove upto winton raceway (3 hour drive) for a car meet, was doing pulls on straights but after I did the first pull, when the car downshifted it spewed white smoke again and has been since, mainly on startups and kickdowns/vvti kicks in

Before leaving winton I checked the oil levels to be safe, and it used 3L of oil on the way to winton thankfully I had 5L nulon 5w30 in the boot

Anyone know what might be going on?