White Smoke from exhaust?

SkuxxAzn

9 hours ago, SkuxxAzn said:

On Sunday 29/10/17

Drove upto winton raceway (3 hour drive) for a car meet, was doing pulls on straights but after I did the first pull, when the car downshifted it spewed white smoke again and has been since, mainly on startups and kickdowns/vvti kicks in

You're a braver man than I am. You actually race a stock Aurion ?

It Seems like you are losing engine oil under extreme load and finding its way onto the hot exhaust. ?? maybe ??

I can't see grease thrown around doing this.

Like you said, it used 3lt of oil in that meet. That's way too much. It's leaking like a siv my friend.

Blue smoke would indicate the engine is actually burning the oil, but white smoke suggests it's leaking and burning off a hot exhaust.

I am still intrigued by this.

12 hours ago, SkuxxAzn said:

On Sunday 29/10/17

Drove upto winton raceway (3 hour drive) for a car meet, was doing pulls on straights but after I did the first pull, when the car downshifted it spewed white smoke again and has been since, mainly on startups and kickdowns/vvti kicks in

You're a braver man than I am. You actually race a stock Aurion ?

It Seems like you are losing engine oil under extreme load and finding its way onto the hot exhaust. ?? maybe ??

I can't see grease thrown around doing this.

Like you said, it used 3lt of oil in that meet. That's way too much. It's leaking like a siv my friend.

Blue smoke would indicate the engine is actually burning the oil, but white smoke suggests it's leaking and burning off a hot exhaust.

I am still intrigued by this.

So it used 3 litres of oil just getting there ?? Wow !

You must have an oil leak somewhere brother.

Doesn't seem right at all.

Just giving an update!

The white smoke issue has decided to "stop" now obviously cars don't fix themselves, so when I told my dad that the white smoke stopped, he immediately jumped to the PCV Valve, and reckons that left over sludge in the engine may have kept the valve open allowing the oil to be burned (as there are no oil leaks in the engine bay/pools in the driveway)

Going into Toyota today to buy a new valve (or two so we have spares) i'll let you guys know how it turns out 

Edited by SkuxxAzn
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Codename47

Sorry for the lack of update, I've been swamped with work.

After installing the PCV Valve, it was still blowing white smoke, but only on start ups. After about a week, the white smoke has stopped all together (only really shows when I start the car first thing in the morning, but it's extremely faint, so it's probably just moisture)

I drive through a fairly open road on the way home from work, so I floor it/push it just to see if it was still blowing thick clouds of smoke whenever the VVTi/Downkick happens

So far, no smoke.

I think this has solved the issue, (Touch wood) Will keep this post updated if any changes occur.

For anyone else thinking about replacing the PCV valve, it was only about $32 from the Toyota Parts Dealer

25 minutes ago, SkuxxAzn said:

when I start the car first thing in the morning, but it's extremely faint

Consider your issue not fully resolved until proven otherwise.

Make a note to do an engine flush and also clean the PCV valve at your next oil change ideally at a 5000 km interval or less depending upon how dark the oil looks. Clean oil is virtually transparent on the dipstick. A slightly golden colour is OK. When it is a darker golden colour, then it is time to consider whether an oil change is necessary.

13 hours ago, SkuxxAzn said:

@Codename47

Sorry for the lack of update, I've been swamped with work.

After installing the PCV Valve, it was still blowing white smoke, but only on start ups. After about a week, the white smoke has stopped all together (only really shows when I start the car first thing in the morning, but it's extremely faint, so it's probably just moisture)

I drive through a fairly open road on the way home from work, so I floor it/push it just to see if it was still blowing thick clouds of smoke whenever the VVTi/Downkick happens

So far, no smoke.

I think this has solved the issue, (Touch wood) Will keep this post updated if any changes occur.

For anyone else thinking about replacing the PCV valve, it was only about $32 from the Toyota Parts Dealer

Thanks for the update. I ordered the part after speaking to @campbeam. I have dropped the car at mechanic's place to clean other rocker cover. (one has been cleaned) . I am hoping to get the car by next monday. Let's see how it goes. I will update you too once the car is back.

I have ordered Oil filters in bulk as well, so let's see how it goes.

19 hours ago, campbeam said:

Consider your issue not fully resolved until proven otherwise.

Make a note to do an engine flush and also clean the PCV valve at your next oil change ideally at a 5000 km interval or less depending upon how dark the oil looks. Clean oil is virtually transparent on the dipstick. A slightly golden colour is OK. When it is a darker golden colour, then it is time to consider whether an oil change is necessary.

@campbeam Cheers for the advice, I think i'll do an oil change/Engine Flush in January (if the oil condition isn't as bad as you described) and do that every 6 months or 5,000km