Buying TRD Aurion

Hi guys and girls, new to this forum and wanting to pick your brains. I'm looking at buying a TRD Aurion, I'm not a newbie when it comes to the build quality and reliability factors of Toyotas as I was employed at a Toyota dealership for 8 1/2 years, and I'm not wanting a TRD for the race car impression that everyone thinks they are, but I do like the idea of the added power/torque they have. My question for the brains trust is, are there any significant things I should be aware of before purchasing 1, I have a bit of knowledge about them, bit I also left the dealership in 2010 before any possible problems would have started presenting themselves

Regards, and T.I.A., Damian

For any Aurion, I would be looking at the service record/history to confirm that the vehicle has been well maintained and regularly serviced. Check for engine sludge in the valve cover.

If the water pump is leaking then that is a potential $2,000 repair bill based upon removing the engine. There are workarounds [for the standard non-supercharged Aurions] where the engine can be jacked up for the extra space.

Expect to pay more for the Aurion TRD parts. I am specifically thinking of brake rotors and pads which you can check on eBay.

If the engine kinda sounds like a diesel while idling, get a bit closer and confirm the rattle is coming from the s/c, which'll mean you'll want to look at replacing the coupling inside.

Also, keep an eye out for the dreaded melting dash, as per the sticky up the top. If you find one where the dash has already been replaced you're laughing.

The 1 I'm looking at "apparently" has full service history, I haven't seen the car yet, going to inspect it on Saturday, I'll be checking the service books and such, but the minor worrying detail is it has only 92,000k's on it and I suspect it has only been serviced by kilometres and not time 

My TRD Aurion is at 138,000km right now and increasing at 60km daily.

I live in a rural area so my TRD Aurion is driven enthusiastically and it has not missed a beat. 

The only component that did get changed very early on was the automatic belt tensioner, and that was done under a mechanical warranty. In NZ the automatic belt tensioner was roughly $300.00. My TRD Aurion doesn't seem to use any oil or hasn't needed a top up between the 12,000km service intervals. 

I would also recommend making sure your wheel alignment is correct, as the front tyres are working very hard. The 245/35/r19 tyres are also an odd size so it could be expensive. Currently I run Goodyear F1 Asymetricals and they are now down to 3mm tread depth from approximately 20,000km worth of driving. Please note I am not sure how long the previous owner had the tyres on before I purchased the car.

If you are looking for power modifications I would not bother as it is expensive and the gains are generally not there. 

I do recommend you upgrade the front and rear sway bars as I found this assisted with the torque steer, in my opinion. I also had a strut brace installed. The automatic transmission sometimes does not kick down as quickly as you like, it almost seems like turbo lag, in certain situations. 

Fuel economy for my TRD Aurion is between 10litres - 11.5litres per 100km and it must be filled with 98octane. 

I really like my TRD Aurion, it is definitely a compromised (slightly flawed) vehicle but it is a lot of fun because of this. 

I also have an older turbocharged Subaru, but as a daily vehicle it is awful. 

IMG_2816.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2017 at 8:25 PM, TRDnz13 said:

My TRD Aurion is at 138,000km right now and increasing at 60km daily.

I live in a rural area so my TRD Aurion is driven enthusiastically and it has not missed a beat. 

The only component that did get changed very early on was the automatic belt tensioner, and that was done under a mechanical warranty. In NZ the automatic belt tensioner was roughly $300.00. My TRD Aurion doesn't seem to use any oil or hasn't needed a top up between the 12,000km service intervals. 

I would also recommend making sure your wheel alignment is correct, as the front tyres are working very hard. The 245/35/r19 tyres are also an odd size so it could be expensive. Currently I run Goodyear F1 Asymetricals and they are now down to 3mm tread depth from approximately 20,000km worth of driving. Please note I am not sure how long the previous owner had the tyres on before I purchased the car.

If you are looking for power modifications I would not bother as it is expensive and the gains are generally not there. 

I do recommend you upgrade the front and rear sway bars as I found this assisted with the torque steer, in my opinion. I also had a strut brace installed. The automatic transmission sometimes does not kick down as quickly as you like, it almost seems like turbo lag, in certain situations. 

Fuel economy for my TRD Aurion is between 10litres - 11.5litres per 100km and it must be filled with 98octane. 

I really like my TRD Aurion, it is definitely a compromised (slightly flawed) vehicle but it is a lot of fun because of this. 

I also have an older turbocharged Subaru, but as a daily vehicle it is awful. 

IMG_2816.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

I've seen your car a few times around, very nice man :)

• Like 1