DIY touch up scratch

nushydude

Hi, 

The other day I got my car scratched below the driver side door as shown in the attached photo. 

It's not a metal panel as far as I understand and I'm wondering what can be done to fix it DIY style. I don't want to spend a lot of money and don't expect to get a professional quality outcome. If it isn't noticeable from a  couple of meters away, that's good enough. Of course, if a great quality can be achieved with little bit more money spent, I'll go for that definitely. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Colour code is 061 (Diamond White) btw. 

Cheers 

20171024_140304.jpg

@trentmeyer23
Is this the product I need? 
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Holts-Dupli-Color-Touch-Up-Paint-Diamond-White-12-5mL/131818

or this one?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Dupli-Color-Touch-Up-Paint-Plastic-Trim-Primer-150g/357008

The former might not be enough. The latter is a spray, but its description mentions "Includes brush system for minor chips & scratches". What does this mean?

Also, do you think all I need is just touch up paint? They recommend that I use a primer, base paint and then clear coat in their docs. But they are all 

Cheers

Edited by nushydude

Touch up spray paint will never match, and will be especially noticeable if you only do the spot repair. You will need to remove the skirt and paint the whole thing so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

If you have no painting experience, the couple hundred bucks you can spend at a professional paint shop might be money well spent than you having to fiddle with it, breaking mounting clips, trying to get paint matched, primer, sandpaper, masking tape, wax and grease remover etc.. Not to mention time. You'll spend a whole day on it.

• Like 1

I'd say just take it easy and do it yourself, in that way you'll learn something new. Just watch a few videos below a few times and you are good to go. Just do it! Once you done it, share your experience with us. That's why, we are here, help one another. :wink: 

That panel, you also can take it off first, it holds by a few screws. Once you get the idea how to paint that scratch then it will be easier for you to do all other possible scratches or dents later on. I personally would not go to the paint shop for a small scratch  to paint over.

Edited by krigeroz

DIY can be fun. Yeah what the hell. The OP can have a crack I guess. Nothing ventured, nothing gained perhaps.

If he's not too fussy about the finish, why not.

In the end it's really up to the individual.

We can only advise.

I would like to see the end result if he decides to tackle it himself.

I hope it all works out well. :thumbsup: