RAV4 Rear Bearing Removal

Michael Lamers

Can't seem to loosen / remove the 30mm rear wheel bearing hub retaining nut.  What I've done so far is:

• Removed the rear wheel.
  • Removed the brake calipher.
  • Removed the split pin and nut retainer.
  • Put 30mm socket on the nut, used a 300mm socket drive - nut won't budge.
  • Sprayed WD40 over a 24 period, used the 30mm socket and the 300mm socket drive with a pipe extension, bent the socket drive - nut still won't budge.

Where to, what to do next?

A trick that I recently read about was to use brake fluid for the easy removal of air/fuel sensors. It worked a treat for me.

I would be inclined to either give the brake fluid a go or silicone spray. Hope you have a 7lb hammer to give the pipe extension a few short sharp hits which often works when just steady pressure does not get the desired results.

Is the wheel spinning at all? If so, pull the centre cap out and put the wheel back on a lower the car to the ground. Undo from there.

If it is not spinning and you have no access to a rattle gun. Place the socket on the nut by itself and belt the crap out of it a few times, rinse and repeat.

I would also suggest buying a 600mm breaker bar similar to the one below. I personally have two of these and they have held up to much bigger stuff than what you are attempting.

https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/hand-tools/sockets-and-sets/force-1-2-dr-600mm-24-breaker-bar-swivel-head

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

...... brake fluid a go or silicone spray. Hope you have a 7lb hammer to give the pipe extension a few short sharp hits which often works when just steady pressure does not get the desired results.

Would they be much different to the WD40?  I have given it some hard wacks with a heavy mallet. 

1 hour ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Is the wheel spinning at all? If so, pull the centre cap out and put the wheel back on a lower the car to the ground. Undo from there.

If it is not spinning and you have no access to a rattle gun. Place the socket on the nut by itself and belt the crap out of it a few times, rinse and repeat.

I would also suggest buying a 600mm breaker bar similar to the one below. I personally have two of these and they have held up to much bigger stuff than what you are attempting.

https://www.tradetools.com/product-range/hand-tools/sockets-and-sets/force-1-2-dr-600mm-24-breaker-bar-swivel-head

Hub not spinning (park brake holds firm).  I tried with the wheel back on and RAV lowered to the floor (to steady it, as pulling on the 1.0m pipe extension was moving the RAV around).

I might have to take it to a repairer.  Quote to change the bearing hub was around $175, I was trying to save a few bucks.