A new comer to Australia and I need help!

Hi all,

I was planning to buy a brand new corolla, but someone told me that the percentage of taxes on a brand new car is more than taxes on a used car!

1- Is that true? Would someone explain for me what to expect plaese!

2- Is there a way of decreasing taxes on my brand new car in buying it from a specific location (tax free state or area in Australia).

3- Do you have any useful advice on where and when to buy a brand new corolla?

4- Do you have any useful advice on buying a new car in general

Thnx all!

Look for one that was built before Oct05, those are still 100kw, the new ones are 93kw (excluding sportivo)

That had absolutely nothing to do with what was asked..

Now on a better note... There are no tax free areas? (never heard of them) in australia..

You pay tax on everything just about get used to it and move on... not worth worrying about..

if you want to save some money go 2nd hand but almost new.. but there will still be tax etc..

if you want to save some money go 2nd hand but almost new.. but there will still be tax etc..

can you elaborate on this please? why is buying an almost new second hand car cheaper? Is it because the cost of the car it self is lower, or is it because the taxes I would pay are less due to the percentage of tax for a second hand in it self is lower? Let me ask the question in a different way.

For example the tax for a brand new car is 10%, will the tax for a second hand car be 5%?

Edited by aklobi

It's cheaper because it's used. When you buy a new car, you pay more because the car will only have 25km on the odometer not 25,000km.

For example.

My Car new in 2003 cost me $24,400 (with a few options)

My Car now exactly 3 years old with only 32,000km's and well looked after is probably worth only $18,000 because it's used.

So if a new 06 retails for $25,000, you can pick up a near new 05 with say under 10,000km's for around $21,000.

The minute u drive your new car out of the dealers lot, it decreases in value by up to 20%, simply because of the fact that it is now officially a used car. stupid but thats how it works.

best way to get a cheaper car is too shop around through all the dealers, as there are major differences between them all.

if u want advice as too which dealer is one of the best around australia (east coast) PM me and i'll give u all his details.

:lol: I cant' believe that this has to be explained to someone before they understand. :lol:

:lol: you are laughing because you think you understood my question and that you think its silly!

:lol: And I am laughing because I cant beleive you havent understood my question even though I repeated it twice :lol::lol: :lol:

:lol: I cant' believe that this has to be explained to someone before they understand. :lol:

Go easy mate. As the post title says "A new comer to Australia and I need help"? I think what aklobi was trying to establish was our State and Federal Tax system (G.S.T.). Seems a pretty smart question to me as I have been living in North America for the past 8 months and there tax systems are quite different to home and vary from country to country, province to province, state to state and I wish I had some good advise to help me save some cash.

Well done aklobi, nothing wrong with trying to save some coin to spend on more important things like performance modifications!!!!! :)

Hope you enjoy Australia!

Go easy mate. As the post title says "A new comer to Australia and I need help"? I think what aklobi was trying to establish was our State and Federal Tax system (G.S.T.). Seems a pretty smart question to me as I have been living in North America for the past 8 months and there tax systems are quite different to home and vary from country to country, province to province, state to state and I wish I had some good advise to help me save some cash.

Well done aklobi, nothing wrong with trying to save some coin to spend on more important things like performance modifications!!!!! :)

Heheh!!! Yeah hope you enjoy Australia, you will get taxed up the ar$e to the point where you will end up paying taxes on your own sh*t.

You make a fair point about differences between countries in taxes, etc.

The point Blkrla is making is that no matter where you go (apart from some collectible vehicles or new ones in especially high demand) a used car is always cheaper than a new equivalent ... its a universal given.

Edited by Buddha

Hi all,

I was planning to buy a brand new corolla, but someone told me that the percentage of taxes on a brand new car is more than taxes on a used car!

1- Is that true? Would someone explain for me what to expect plaese!

2- Is there a way of decreasing taxes on my brand new car in buying it from a specific location (tax free state or area in Australia).

4- Do you have any useful advice on buying a new car in general

Thnx all!

Actually, which state are you going... the stamp duty is different between states. The GST is same, but it is already included in the retail price, so you do not need to worry about it. Because you are not buy car over $57k, so you do not need to worry about Luxury car Tax. Just tell me which car do you want, I am able to do break down price for you. (I am working for Toyota).

2. I not think there is a tax free zone in Australia. For Australian Tax Office, your car is losing 22.5% of it value every years (exluding on taxes). For the tax purpose you need to refer to your accountant, because everyone is different.

3. Where do you buy your new car is depend where do you living now.. It is always better toward end of the month, because some dealership is struggling for number, but most of the time the dealership will discount the car no matter is early in the month or late in the month.

4. Advice??? The industry is trying to clean itself up.. but there are still dirty sales trick out there...

Thank you for understanding my question.

Thank you for understanding my question.

That's cool. The others have given you some very good advise about saving $$$ with the purchase of second hand vehicle over a new one. If you decide to go with new May and June are good months to shave alot of money of a new car because dealers are trying to clear stock before the end of the finacial year. I saved $3000 off the recommended retail price and screwed them for a further $900 worth of extas for my '05 corolla sportivo. Keep in mind to shop around as some dealers carry more stock than others and might find themselves overstocked like my dealer obviously was. Also dealers often get rid of fully loaded demo cars for a good price but once again shop around!!

Have fun and lets us know what you end up with :)

Second hand car maybe cheaper, but if you know nothing about car, maybe new car is better way to go. You don't know what did the last driver does... Is cheaper on Second hand car, but not that much if the car just run 10K etc...Many many White rolla our there, but hard to find other Good colours and with ABS options.

Look for one that was built before Oct05, those are still 100kw, the new ones are 93kw (excluding sportivo)

That had absolutely nothing to do with what was asked..

Now on a better note... There are no tax free areas? (never heard of them) in australia..

You pay tax on everything just about get used to it and move on... not worth worrying about..

Depends on how you interpret the question, just cos you know the differences between certain corollas, doesnt mean everyone else does (hence the questions).

Im sure aklobi would find this advice rather useful (unless they already knew previously) and they would prefer know before they've forked out their money on a corolla is that its 93kw instead of 100kw. (Im sure there are plenty of new corolla owners who have said "WTF" when they found out that info).

Also I tend to stay away from DEMO cars, for one simple reason, these cars are usually thrashed!

Why i say that is every test drive ive been on to date I have told by the dealers "floor it/gun it, demo cars are meant to be thrashed"

So not wanting to offend the dealer i complied and thrashed the fck outta it :P

Anyways on another note

thnx for the swift reply. would you explain in more detail please...........

The reason i have been advised the new corollas are 93kw instead of 100kw is because of emissions it outputs. (Does the corolla output such a bad level of emissions to begin with anyway? :huh: )

Edited by neK

i bought my car 2nd hand... 2003 corolla conquest, only 9800 km on it for around $18000 from a private owner.

At that time, the dealerships were selling conquests for $20000+ and they had at least 15000+km on them?!

I wasnt just checking the papers, i did actually go from dealer to dealer to shop around.... yea just do your research... check the tradingpost as well as the used car dealership websites.. you can bargain with private dealers.... depends how desparate they are to sell!