Toyota Kluger white smoke on cold start/heavy load

Kluger KXR

This one looks it will be easier to fit with the 11mm hose adapters.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Billet-Aluminium-Baffled-Oil-Catch-Can-Breather-Tank-Nissan-Toyota-JDM-Black/272946093794?hash=item3f8cdadee2:g:a~oAAOSwZW5aEtaK&rmvSB=true

49 minutes ago, Kluger KXR said:

oil catch can will go between the PCV valve and the intake manifold

Yes, with 3/8" or 10mm hose from PCV valve to inlet of catch can then hose from outlet to the intake manifold.

I have had the combination of transmission hose and in-line filter plus new PCV valve fitted to my standby project Aurion [2008 Prodigy] for quite some months with no smoke on start up.

Fitting a catch can may be overkill but for peace of mind it may be worth doing.

• 5 months later...

Thanks to all the posts on here with regards to the sludge and white smoke problem.

It took me a few hours on the net trawling through American sites then discovered this site, so I have now signed up. Apparently in the US they managed to bring on legal proceedings with Toyota, with respect to the common problem of sludge problems but no luck over here in Aus.

So back to the point. 2 months ago I noticed oil level was very low on the dipstick. Bearing in mind our car had been regularly serviced at Toyota, I thought this odd, despite being well due for a service. So I topped it up. A few weeks later I noticed a big puff of white, oil smelly smoke at start up - coming out of the right exhaust pipe, which over the next few weeks began to be more frequent. Then on a trip last week, my wife gently planted her foot firmly down and the car behind us vanished (in a cloud of white smoke).

I called out the RAC to check the car for their opinion as we were intending to do a road trip. Advice was not to do a drive and to check it with Toyota first as they had the service history. Check in at Toyota revealed sludge in the filler cap (I hadn't noticed this back in may at the oil top up I did).

I did the research and discovered a huge amount of forum material with regards to the sludge problem in newer technology engines due to the very tight design tolerances and requirement of using a thinner oil. In basic terms, thinner oil cooks over time and begins to sludge up, as opposed to older cars where oil galleries were much larger and oil flow was higher. I did a lot of work on older classic cars in my youth but left the Kluger to Toyota since it was the family car.

The internet revealed all opinions for and against using engine cleaners, or just flushes with many oil changes to loosen the sludge I ummed and ahhed about using an engine cleaner/flush/detox.

So, I bought an oil filter removal tool, and drain connection fitting and pipe (didn't really need this as a cheap plastic connector, without hose, comes with the filter and seal kit) , a couple of filters and some 5w/30 oil.

I dumped the oil and filter - very black with a few thick bits in the bottom. Cleaned the filter housing, refit filter. I also removed the PCV (crankcase ventilation valve) and although it sounded free (sounds like a ball bearing shaking inside), I noticed it was sticking when blowing on the flow side (threaded end at the rocker cover), but sealing as expected when blowing on the other (hose) side. I gave it a thorough clean out and re-checked and sticking had been rectified. Replaced the PCV, filled with new 5W/30 oil and started the car up. Initially there was a little puff of white smoke but so far it appears to have resolved the smoking problem. Car runs a lot smoother, my wife who drives it daily, says it sounded a lot quieter and smoother to drive.

Next I will either carry out the detox with the current new oil and dump that out and replace the filter again and put in quality oil. then again in a month repeat with new filter and oil. If necessary I will do this again and then in future adhere to a strict 10000k (or lower) oil change policy. In addition to the above, I intend to removed the front (top) rocker cover to give it a full clean and likewise do the same with the sump / oil pan. Note rocker cover seal is by gasket, sump is by specific sealant (both from Toyota, as my local Auto shop didn't stock them).

I hope this helps someone who is new to the problem and needs a bit of additional info to look into it.

Andy

IMAG7992.jpg

IMAG7995.jpg

3 hours ago, Apeltree said:

I intend to removed the front (top) rocker cover to give it a full clean and likewise do the same with the sump / oil pan. Note rocker cover seal is by gasket, sump is by specific sealant (both from Toyota, as my local Auto shop didn't stock them).

I can highly recommend that you do action this intention.

I deliberately chose not to disturb the gaskets but it has taken me about 2 years of monthly oil and filter changes plus engine flushes to de-sludge the engine so it no longer smokes on start up. What I am doing now is to clean the oil filter cartridge monthly but I do mostly short distance driving which contributes to oil sludge build up.

• 3 years later...

Greetings, I can vouch that manually removing the sludge from the front valve cover from a 2GFRE V6 does eliminate the smoke on start up- and on the highway.

Recently purchased a 2012 Lexus RX350 with the 2GFRE toyota engine. 160K on the clock. Did not realize it had a white smoke problem until 2 months after purchase on a road trip up to Shark Bay. Huge puffs of smoke on overtaking and also after start-ups after a long trip (long trip being 20minutes or more of highway driving- allowing oil to reach the upper portions near the PCV valve where it is sucked into the intake) 

This forum helped point me towards the sludge issue. My first mechanic claimed valve stem seals and didnt believe the sludge theory(even after an apparent inspection) he sold me 3 x engine flushes and valve stem seal repair additive.

Needless to say the smoking continued.

I removed the PCV valve to inspect inside valve cover for sludge deposits with a wire/zip tie (campbeams trick -thanks) There was plenty of sludge.

I then found a mechanic to remove and clean front valve cover. See attached before and after pictures from mechanic, The car has not smoked once since and is driving smoke-free even on long trips. This mechanic also reckons engine flushes do not remove sludge especially decent amounts- and engine flushes can cause more problems. ie dislodged sludgey bits landing where they shouldnt. This guy is a performance engine rebuilder. 

The previous owners may have missed a few oil changes and frequent city driving caused the sludge. 

Mechanic charged $450 total parts & labour. (front valve cover only)

Totally worth the $450- he claimed not to worry about rear valve cover/ sump as it didnt contribute to the smoking.

But I reckon this would cost between $1200 to $1500 for a mechanic to remove and clean both covers/sump if you are anti sludge. Im not going to bother personally- But i will increase Oil change intervals.

If any related issue's resurface I will post. 

Cheers to everyone- hope this post also helps any 2grfe owners with smokey issues.

Resized_20220303_104723.jpeg

Resized_20220303_104744(1).jpeg

Resized_20220303_112146.jpeg