2017 Toyota Aurion - Rough ride?

justJuzz

Hii,

I have a new 2017 Toyota Aurion, ATX, which I  have had for 1 month (08/ 2017 build date).  My question is,  is it normal for this car to have such a rough ride? I feel every bump whilst  drving on any road surface. It has 17" wheels and has 215/55R17 tyres. 

My previous car was a 1999 Camry which had  the 205/70R15 tyre / wheel setup.  

I have made searches for this question on this Forum prior to starting this new topic, but was unable find any information. Thank you.

Regards,

justJuzz

Note. Just to clarify. This car is a 2017, but there is no "Aurion 2017" to select in my setup profile.

Edited by justJuzz
car year

I would say the rough ride is due to new suspension and you have been used to driving an old vehicle with worn suspension.

On my 1998 Camry, I had 205/65/15 tyres and the ride was a lot firmer when I replaced the struts and coil springs. It all settled down to a smoother but still a very firm ride after a few weeks.

The ride on my 2006 Aurion ATX is very smooth [probably a bit bouncy] but the suspension is quite worn in. I have standard size tyres 215/60/16 and have increased tyre pressures from 36psi to 38psi for a bit better handling.

Hi campbeam,

I agree, it is probably that I am not used to the new suspension of a new car. Just thinking I did have my Camry for nearly 18 years :smile:.  I will check the tyre pressures too.

Thanks for your help.  

regards,  John

Hi trentmeyer23,

I did test drive the Car prior to purchasing it. Mind you it was only a short drive on the suburban streets, over speed humps, not on the freeway or country roads, etc. I did notice the firmness of the ride, but thought that it was a different car to mine, and that  it was new.

Thanks for your help. Regards, John

• 2 weeks later...

2 Aurions in the family:

2008 touring, 139k kms.

2013 at-x, 43k kms.

The latter is way stiffer, though it appears to help on the winding roads. None, though, is as pleasurable and fun when cornering as the old good VZ, who was otherwise a pretty crappy package compared to the Toyotas 😀

Hi AurionX2,

Thanks for input, I appreciate it.  Thats interesting about the stiffer suspension difference with your two Aurions.  Yes, I think there is very minimal body when cornering. Maybe the suspension will settle  in after 10,000km. I am just coming up to 1400kms now, I want to take it for a long. drive, but have not got around to it yet  😀

Thanks  for your advice

regards, justJuzz

Hi Tony Prodigy,

That's an excellent suggestion . I will try that out today  ☺ Thanks for your 2 cents. It is greatly appreciated.

Regards justJuzz

Could be age related, the newer the car the stiffer the ride but a very subjective issue. Having said that 3 weeks ago I replaced the struts complete on my 2001 Camry V6 for std height King Springs & Sachs dampers & although firmer than what it was the dampers are now more effective soaking up most of the roads harshness & find it more comfortable than the old stock setup. Would honestly prefer an even firmer setup but I'm happy with it now.

I'll post a write-up of parts used & tips in the next few weeks :)

Edited by ZZT86

Hi ZZT86,

I agree it is probably age related. It will hopefully loosen up with a few more kilometres on the clock. Thanks.

My 1999 Camry was a smoother and quieter ride. It would surprise me when people would comment about it. It sounds like you have a good car, enjoy it 😀. They are an extremely reliable car.

Thanks for advice. Regards, justJuzz.

Thanks John,

My Camry Azura is a nice with very low kms but your Aurion is much nicer & far more advanced too. I would love an Aurion for a daily but I'm unwilling to spend to get one especially considering I have a weekend toy that's an 86 :/ Enjoy your Aurion as they are a rippa car.

Thanks for your advice ZZT86. I was reading up a bit about the 86. Rear Wheel Drive, very nice. That is certainly an excellent car. I am sure you must like getting out on a country road in your 86 for a cruise. 

Regards justJuzz

• Like 1