2011 Hilux dash lights

brickpaver

I would think that this question is probably not new but I can't find it anywhere. 

I have a 2011 Hilux V6 SR dual cab which for some strange reason, Toyota chose to NOT have a brightness adjust on any of the dash lights.  Because the three dials are recessed, they are difficult to read at times, especially at various times of the day and reading the odometer is even harder to impossible to read if I run my headlights during the day, automatically dimming the dash and odometer lights even lower.

Two or three questions now arise.

1. Is the dash illuminated by single or independent globes from behind and if so, are they accesible to maybe change to brighter globes or is there some other type of central illumination in hehind there that could be improved upon.

2. Is there any way of fitting and connecting up a CHEAP dimmer adjustment switch in to the provision provided, but not utilized (pretty much cheapskate Toyota to not include one) so as to make the dash lights brighter, or conversly to somehow make them brighter without adding a dimmer adjust switch.  I just want to be able to read my speedo and odometer at a quick glance, at any time of the night OR day, without taking my eyes off the road so as I can squint to see the speedo.  Something that I can NOT do at present.

3. Would I be assuming correctly that the SR5 might have a different type of dash lights setup, a dimmer switch fitted to that blank provision in the SR or possibly even a dash setup similar to the Kluger KXS which illuminates just about everything brilliantly in all the dash guages etc.  If rhe SR5 is so equipped, how difficult would it be to do a ' speedo dash swap' between the two.

I still cant believe that the SR which is NOT a cheap vehicle to buy from new, does not have such a basic switch that IS in just about every other vehicle on the market.

Cheers.

Edited by brickpaver

The 2011 SR doesn't have the rotary dimmer even though the provision is there.

I wonder if the wiring loom to connect to a switch might be there though because it would seem odd to not have the same basic loom across the three models even if every lead isn't connected.

IMG_1182.JPG

Thanks for those replies. I see that they are earlier dates,..2008, 2009. etc that cover the subject.  My SR is 2011so obviously Toyota still chose not to have this rotary dimmer switch seemingly until your 2013 model.  It will forever baffle me why it was never fitted right from the start.

One of those earlier replies made the point by asking the question, 'why would anyone want to dim these dash lights anyway' and of course he was perfectly correct,...because the damn things aren't bright enough to begin with, they seem to be set fixed at a point about 2/3 to 3/4 of full brightness,..which was the the main point of my question,.....to get them to be a whole lot brighter, particularly in daylight or sunset and then the odometer to be brighter at night.  I just hoped that a dimmer switch (as I called it) could also make them brighter.

Then back to the other part of the original enquiry,... Is there ANY other way of making them brighter, even if it means a fixed method of some sort like brighter globes or brighter illumination from in back of the dash or removing whatever the part is that sets the current brightness level and so allowing the fullest light wattage.

Conversely then, would a 2013 (or later) dash cluster go into a 2011 as a swap and still hook up to the existing connectors on everything.

Edited by brickpaver

Well, my SR has the brighter Optitron cluster which is the same as the SR5 from factory, so there is a good chance that it will. There is also the issue of the odometer being incorrect.

My cluster has the ability for the lights to be replaced, so I would assume yours to be the same. Pull it out and have a bit of a look. 

Having never done it before, how fiddly is it to remove or get in behind the dash cluster. If your later SR has the brighter cluster and the  SR5 naturally has the brighter cluster,.....and for that matter so does my wifes 2008 KXS Kluger have a brilliantly lit cluster, which comes straight on with the ignition and illuminates virtually everything, as if every single number and pointer has its own globe..........with all these apparent 'options', would a full swap be possible, in which case a visit to a Toyota wreckers might be in order.?

It is definitely possible, I am not sure whether it will be 100% plug and play though.

From memory it was 1 plastic screw at the middle in the top of the black surround, then pull the grey piece directly outwards. From there it is 4 bolts to remove the cluster itself. It has been a little while since I removed it.

Thanks for all your help. First chance I get, I'll get myself down to one of a few Toyota wreckers that we have here in Adelaide and see what I can scare up. They could probably also give me the precise information on what will fit and what wont. I'd LOVE to put a Kluger cluster in there and hook everything up but that maybe asking too much.

Thanks again, I'll post the results of whatever I find out so as it might help someone else down the track.

Cheers 🍻

• 8 months later...

Well I’ve tried three Toyota wreckers so far and NONE of them have a cluster out of any later model Hilux’s or Klugers, in fact none of them were able to offer any advice either so I’m still stuck on the bottom.

Edited by brickpaver

Pretty sure the wiring is sitting just behind where the rheostat switch fits into the cutout and taped up, what you will find is the brightness is at the upper level if your car does not come equipped with the adjustment switch, the plug will be terminated with a plug and a bridge wire

On 10/20/2018 at 5:49 PM, CONROD said:

Pretty sure the wiring is sitting just behind where the rheostat switch fits into the cutout and taped up, what you will find is the brightness is at the upper level if your car does not come equipped with the adjustment switch, the plug will be terminated with a plug and a bridge wire

Thanks Conrod. I did actually have the same thought, that there would be taped up wiring in back there somewhere.

I need to gently remove the dash and have a look.

Cheers