Glass shattering on Toyota factory fitted canopy

Stevetri71

TOYOTA HILUX CANOPY GLASS SHATTERING 

Hi just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the factory fitted Toyota canopy I have had on 2x occasions the glass shatter and paid for the repairs myself the first time, but the second time I bought the original Toyota glasss part and fitted myself and found that Toyota had changed the design so no longer do the struts mount onto the glass they mount onto body of the canopy and the metal bar/hinge lock assembly, the glass is obviously a week point and the pressure put on it by the hydraulic struts would be huge so they have rectified this but I am still out of pocket $1690 for two repairs and down time where car wasn’t on the road as I use it for work ????? I know nothing was obstructing struts or glass when the door was being closed it just shattered in my hand

THANKS STEVE

• 1 month later...

If your car is still in Warranty I'd take it back to Toyota and present your receipt. If you fitted it yourself it'll be hard to get your money back. Tell them what happened honestly and they may help you out. Otherwise there is not much else you can do about it.

Edited by Thanh85
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Just had the rear glass on my Toyota genuine canopy (2014) explode.  No one near the vehicle at the time thankfully.  Hot sunny day must have caused pressure build-up inside and it exploded sending glass everywhere.  We were sitting about 20m away when it happened and it scared the daylights out of us.