Auto lights

Hi,

I am a bit concerned that Toyota's and Lexus cars tend to be the main culprits when it comes to the auto lights activating just by going under a short overpass on a road.

Other types of cars seem to be able to "hold Off" just  for a few seconds to ensure that it is not just a "shadow" across the road.

I have seen other drivers suddenly break as they see the initial lights as being brake lights.

Why can't Mr Toyota follow the trend of other car manufacturers,  I know even Hyundai's don't have this issue.

Regards

16 minutes ago, Freethinker58 said:

auto lights activating just by going under a short overpass on a road.

It is a safety feature. I have more noticed the instrument lights temporarily increasing in brightness and got used to it.

19 minutes ago, Freethinker58 said:

I have seen other drivers suddenly break as they see the initial lights as being brake lights.

Their issue because they are travelling too close. Nothing unusual for me to have 2-3 times the braking distance of other drivers.

21 minutes ago, Freethinker58 said:

Why can't Mr Toyota follow the trend of other car manufacturers,  I know even Hyundai's don't have this issue.

Most likely because Mr. Toyota takes a conservative, lower cost and risk approach adopting proven technology rather than being on the "bleeding edge".

4 hours ago, campbeam said:

It is a safety feature. I have more noticed the instrument lights temporarily increasing in brightness and got used to it.

Their issue because they are travelling too close. Nothing unusual for me to have 2-3 times the braking distance of other drivers.

Most likely because Mr. Toyota takes a conservative, lower cost and risk approach adopting proven technology rather than being on the "bleeding edge".

Saying it is a safety feature is a bit of a long bow,  in my opinion.

Saying that someone is travelling too close is also a bit on the stale side, as regardless of the distance if the car in front is braking you should also apply your breaks.

Mentioning that it is a "lower cost" solution is where I think you hit the nail on the head.

So Hyundai , Kia ,  BMW, Mercedes plus others,  can all find the cost but Mr Toyota with the millions of cars they manufacture can't , sort of sums it up.

Thanks for your incite.

11 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Depending on the model, the settings can be changed by the dealership.

I think you may need to demonstrate that statement is correct. As far as I know the Auto Light feature "may"  only have two settings  On or Off.

The actual LUX setting, I don't think , is changeable. That would take it even beyond BMW's and Mercedes.

But I never say never as you never know unless you know for sure.

I am not sure how you would like me to demonstrate this.

LUX can not be adjusted, sensitivity can be. Some vehicles have this option in their audio/visual units, others require a visit to the dealership, where it is done via an adjustment using dealership software. It varies from model to model.

A quick Google of: "toyota adjust auto light sensitivity" will get you some results.

9 hours ago, Freethinker58 said:

Saying that someone is travelling too close is also a bit on the stale side, as regardless of the distance if the car in front is braking you should also apply your breaks

Going to disagree unless you are driving in peak hour bumper to bumper traffic. There is defensive driving and roadcraft. Driving defenisvely, you have enough braking distance and time to take your foot off the accelerator and be prepared to brake. Roadcraft is where you have enough time to assess the situation and able to action an appropriate option.

I also drive with parking lights on. Something I have manually copied from Mr Volvo for many years.

• Like 1