Oil leak, 93 SR5 diesel

thommo

The temp on my 93 Hilux got very high for about 10-15mins (close to the red, but not into the red) on Saturday coming up a long hill in 35 deg temp.  Have since taken off the fly-gauze on the bullbar designed to stop grass-seeds etc clogging the radiator as I suspect this was the problem since it had a brand new radiator just 6mths ago which seems to be operating fine....BTW I was not driving it, if I had been I'd have stopped and pulled the gauze off straight away....and it was being driven harder than I drive it!  It had been up this hill before in about 27 deg temps with no rise in temperature, but 35 was a different matter.

Anyway, when it got home, I noticed a fair bit of oil dripping off the bash plate, and on the front suspension components.  I degreased it all the next day, took off the gauze, and took it for a 50km spin down the highway at 100kmh.  Temp was normal the whole way (just below half-way), but a few drips of new oil appeared on the bash-plate after parking it for a bit.  It seems to be coming from around where the fan belt wheel on the front of the engine is situated.  Not ****** out, just weeping a few drops.

I'm guessing the oil got too hot and thin and a seal or gasket somewhere has leaked.

Any idea what it might be, and what it is likely to cost to fix?

Was thinking about selling this old girl and upgrading, but after seeing how it put a 2017 BT50 to shame on rocky river exits on Saturday, I'm a bit keen to keep it going.  It's been a great old rig, I'm a bit attached to it, rough as it is.

Hilux1.JPG

Edited by thommo

2 hours ago, thommo said:

Is there a simple way for the non-mechanically minded like me to detect a cracked head Trent?

Unless you have a leakdown, compression or combustion gas tester, no. As I said it may not be the case. I would have a mechanic take a look.

2 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Unless you have a leakdown, compression or combustion gas tester, no. As I said it may not be the case. I would have a mechanic take a look.

Thanks Trent. 

Mechanic had a quick look this morning, & thinks no head problem, just engine seals on the front.  Will get them replaced, and he'll do the timing belt while he's in there as it is due in another 15,000kms anyway.  $900-ish.  He also reckons if I'm not concerned about the awful bitumen performance (which I'm not as my longest trip in it for fishing is only 1.5hr), stick with it as off-road it is unbeatable - which tallies with my experience.  I think it's real advantage is how much lighter it is than modern 4WDS?

And I'll learn to do a few rust & paint repairs to improve the cosmetics a bit.

17 hours ago, thommo said:

I was not driving it, if I had been I'd have stopped and pulled the gauze off straight away....and it was being driven harder than I drive it! 

17 hours ago, thommo said:

I'm a bit keen to keep it going.  It's been a great old rig, I'm a bit attached to it, rough as it is.

Guess you will be taking more care about who you let in the driver's seat.

9 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Guess you will be taking more care about who you let in the driver's seat.

Dead right mate.  I have a broken collarbone & cracked ribs atm, so am not allowed to drive a manual hence another bloke was driving with me in the passenger seat.  Still, I saw the temp getting close to the red, but thought we were closer to the top of the climb than it turned out, so have to take some blame too.

I baby the old girl, as she's 25yrs old and despite supposedly being the toughest Hilux they ever made.....it's bloody 25yrs old......is that like 75 in human years?

• 1 month later...

$1143 to get the seals, timing belt, water pump replaced & leaks in the thermostat housing & injector pump fixed.  Could have been worse I guess.

Ever since the last service where they replaced something in the steering arms that go to the wheels, the steering has been a bit sticky with largish turns of the wheel.  There is a sort of sticking point where the wheels and steering wheel seem to catch for an instant.  It seems to be worse when I first start driving, then gets better as things warm up.  Any ideas?  Not the power steering pump I hope!