Extreme Stuff Up.

DumbA$$88

Hello to all,

I spied this community and thought id seek out some advice if you will give it. I may have potentially killed, or seriously injured my 2001 camry.

So, i recently performed an oil change but didnt have as much oil as I really wanted on hand (bit of an oversite) to put as much in as i would have liked. About 3/4 full. Anyway, fast forward to today, about two weeks after the oil change and ive decided to top her up. Long story short, got distracted, didnt check the dipstick at regular intervals (bit of a huge oversite), and put way, way, waaaay too much in....then i decided to go for a drive. Honestly just didnt think anything of it. Shut the hood, turned up some deep purple and drove off into the sunset. Five minutes later que the intermittent power loss, vibrations through the chasis and enough white smoke out the exhaust to make cheech and chong jealous. Immediately pulled over and turned the car off. 

It was too dark to work on the car by the time it had cooled down so i ubered it home and will head back for round two in the morning. Car is in a quiet residential street.

Apart from draining the oil and cleaning the spark plugs i was wondering if you guys could give me a heads up on what to look at? And if this kind of thing can be salvaged perhaps. Really love this old camry and dont want to throw in the towel.

Yeah im a dumbass, 

But hey, I wont be half ****** it next time thats for sure.

Drain and plugs as you said. Turn it over with the plugs out to make sure there is no oil in the combustion chamber.

There will be smoke for a while once it is started, this will be oil burning off. Keep an eye out for leaking seals.

Pay particular attention to oil leaking either from under the crank pulley or in to the gearbox bellhousing - this would indicate that a crank seal has blown (which is a typical issue arising from overfilling oil).  Also, if the oil got really aerated from being overfilled (when the crankshaft gets submersed in oil it basically acts like a blender) then there's a chance you'll have damaged the crank and/or rod main bearings, so listen for any noise that may indicate Rodney is knocking on your front door.

• Like 1