Camry 2014 Oil Change

Player111

Hi

Recently i got a minor service (oil filter change) on my car (Camry Altise auto 2014) and just this morning when I checked the engine oil levels it is way more that the max point, I checked that on a cold engine. On one side of the dipstick its almost 2 cms up the max and on the other side its almost 3cm +.

I called the service mechanic and he is saying that you should check it when the engine is warmed up and even then if the the levels are slightly higher than max you not need to worry.

But for all past services I never saw this level of oil on the dip stick.

Any idea if the oil is checked on a warm/hot engine or on cold engine?

Have a read of post no.6 of the attached URL

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/310-camry-7th-generation-2012-2017/1017346-whats-proper-way-check-oil-14-5-camry-2ar-fe.html

Be aware that an excessive oil level could result in increased oil pressure resulting in a blown oil seal.

There have also been some recent posts in this Forum relating to this issue of engine oil level.

For future reference, you should go to a reliable mechanic. Unfortunately some people who fix or service cars are not thorough or  have little knowledge & or experience.

I like to stick to well known brand  names  such as Midas ...

1 hour ago, AlexeiN said:

I like to stick to well known brand  names  such as Midas ...

Any franchised network is highly dependent upon the quality of the operator and the staff.

Word of mouth advertising is usually the best. As a general rule, look for an owner operator mechanical repair shop experienced in servicing your vehicle. Otherwise, go to the dealer if you are not DIY.

Agreed, but you can trust them more than mr john  greenspoon  smith from your suburban mechanic.

Also trust  i talked to many experienced car people and done research. Dealers are almost always gonna burn a hole in your wallet. Sadly, they are only there to skim your hard earned money.

:sad:

Edited by AlexeiN
mistake

On 06/02/2018 at 5:20 PM, AlexeiN said:

Agreed, but you can trust them more than mr john  greenspoon  smith from your suburban mechanic.

No, not necessarily.

You may have more avenues of complaint, but these centres often use many apprentices or mechanics willing to accept a low rate.

On 8 February 2018 at 10:25 AM, trentmeyer23 said:

No, not necessarily.

You may have more avenues of complaint, but these centres often use many apprentices or mechanics willing to accept a low rate.

Yes I understand, but you are from QLD and in QLD there are legit people. In NSW and Melbourne there are some dodgy (not proper in their conduct) tradespeople and businessmen.Dont want to turn this into an argument but just wanted to people 2 be weary that in metro sydney especially,you have to be a little mindful.

I agree with you about "not necessarily" but to say that apprentices do not get paid much has little to do with whether the company does a good job or not.
Bigger companies or franchises have safety standards and procedures. Typically, your dodgy local mechanic mr john greenspoon uses aftermarket products and probably does not know as much because he only fixes a small number of cars/makes.

In NSW and VIC some of the suburban mechanics  lack the proper knowledge because they do not have enough

experience, there is too much competition.

QLD businesses work in a smaller state with less competition. Thus they are more trustworthy when it comes to these things.

Edited by AlexeiN