Has anyone fitted Philips X-treme Vision 100% halogen headlight bulbs?

For some time, I have had the upgraded Osram Night Breaker  Unlimited series as a preferred choice or benchmark because of stated 110% more light on the road [than a standard OEM bulb], up to 35 metres extra projected beam distance for safer distance and lifetime.

Recently, I decided to review headlight bulbs to confirm my preferred choice after noticing a few new bulbs had appeared on the PowerBulbs website.

Attached document contains the URLs and extracts of various latest headlight bulb comparative tests.

After a recent storm which knocked out the local street lighting and traffic lights, I have decided to immediately replace the existing halogen headlight bulbs rather than wait for them to expire.

Unfortunately the Philips XtremeVision +130 bulbs are not currently available in the H11 fitting. Lifetime of 400 to 450 hrs is expected and Lumens =1500.

I have purchased the top performing  GE Megalight Ultra 130 which is currently available in the H11 fitting. Sourced them on the UK eBay website because https://www.powerbulbs.com/ was out of stock . Unfortunately, I found out later that the expected lifetime is only 250 hrs.

Afterwards, I also discovered via eBay search that Philips XtremeVision 100% bulb is available in the H11 fitting. Lumens = 1350. Lifespan should be similar at 400 to 450 hrs.

In hindsight, I may very well have purchased the Philips product for the longer lifetime.

Best Halogen Headlight Bulbs to Buy.doc

Edited by campbeam
Remove incorrect details

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow up, I fitted the GE Megalight Ultra 130 headlight bulbs Saturday. I thought that it should ideally be a 5 minute job and it was about 5 minutes a side. I did the driver's side first because of more room for small enough hands. Fortunately I did not have to remove the battery or fuse holder on the passenger side for extra working room. Main issue was working out where to push down on the clip for the electrical lead to the bulb.

The bulbs being replaced ended up being Philips Long Life bulbs which have a specification of 1350 lumens. As an impromtu review or comparison, I did not find any obvious improvement in urban driving except the light is a bit whiter [as expected] and I think the passenger side has a bit more light. I did not see any dramatic improvement of more light on the road and further distance. Maybe it is a placebo effect but I am more noticing reflective road signs ahead of the main headlight beam. At this stage, the only conclusion that I am prepared to make is that both the Philips and GE bulbs must be a lot better than the standard OEM bulbs.

Next step is to give the headlights a good clean [not really needed] and replace the side lights with a whiter light. Another thought is to go for a night drive on a secondary road without street lighting as a further test.

• 1 year later...

The GE Megalight Ultra 130 headlight bulb on the passenger side died this Saturday 15.02.2020.

So ended up getting 2 years lifespan.

Replaced it with a used Osram bulb from a spare foglight so interested to see the difference in light performance this evening.

Also interested to see how much longer the other GE Megalight Ultra 130 headlight bulb on the driver's side lasts. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2020 at 4:56 PM, campbeam said:

how much longer the other GE Megalight Ultra 130 headlight bulb on the driver's side lasts.

I noticed that the GE Megalight Ultra 130 headlight bulb on the driver side died tonight, Wednesday 06.05.2020. So it outlasted the passenger side by just less than 3 months. Same as before, I have temporarily replaced it with a used Osram bulb from a spare foglight. 

End result is that the bulbs have lasted to their expected lifetime of 250 hours over a 2 year period. After doing a price comparison, I previously decided to buy direct replacement plug n play LED headlight bulbs instead of more halogen bulbs.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/6/2020 at 7:52 PM, campbeam said:

I noticed that the GE Megalight Ultra 130 headlight bulb on the driver side died tonight, Wednesday 06.05.2020. So it outlasted the passenger side by just less than 3 months. Same as before, I have temporarily replaced it with a used Osram bulb from a spare foglight. 

End result is that the bulbs have lasted to their expected lifetime of 250 hours over a 2 year period. After doing a price comparison, I previously decided to buy direct replacement plug n play LED headlight bulbs instead of more halogen bulbs.

Are there any direct replacement plug n play LED headlight bulbs you would recommend?

48 minutes ago, enforcer said:

Are there any direct replacement plug n play LED headlight bulbs you would recommend?

A few weeks ago, I would have highly recommended an eBay seller but one of their LED bulbs with a 5 year warranty and 50,000 hr lifetime has failed after only 1 year. Fortunately, I had bought a spare pair so was able to replace the passenger side bulb. Now waiting to see whether the driver side bulb also fails before contacting the seller.

Other members have recommended the STEDI brand which is what I intend to buy next time. 

https://www.stedi.com.au/copper-head-h8-h9-h11-h16-led-head-light-conversion-kit.html 

https://www.stedi.com.au/project-h11-led-projector-head-light-conversion-kit.html 

I've decided to purchase OSRAM Night Breaker Laser +150% H7 (Twin) from AliExpress.  The AliExpress link is below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970217945.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2455229dro9q5E&algo_pvid=7cc39b6b-8a3a-4583-aa33-1588b9bc5d10&algo_expid=7cc39b6b-8a3a-4583-aa33-1588b9bc5d10-15&btsid=0b0a556c16228527037735861e142a&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

OEM: OSRAM 64210L
Night Breaker: OSRAM 64210NL

The price and longevity is why I'm sticking to this type of bulb for now.  One HID or LED conversion kits are equivalent to four to six purchases of these twin Night Breaker bulbs.

I will reassess what type of bulb I use in the future if prices of HID and LEDs significantly reduce.

3 hours ago, enforcer said:

I've decided to purchase OSRAM Night Breaker Laser +150% H7 (Twin) from AliExpress.  The AliExpress link is below.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32970217945.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2455229dro9q5E&algo_pvid=7cc39b6b-8a3a-4583-aa33-1588b9bc5d10&algo_expid=7cc39b6b-8a3a-4583-aa33-1588b9bc5d10-15&btsid=0b0a556c16228527037735861e142a&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

OEM: OSRAM 64210L
Night Breaker: OSRAM 64210NL

The price and longevity is why I'm sticking to this type of bulb for now.  One HID or LED conversion kits are equivalent to four to six purchases of these twin Night Breaker bulbs.

I will reassess what type of bulb I use in the future if prices of HID and LEDs significantly reduce.

Can I suggest that you take some before and after photos so you see how much of a difference these high performance bulbs have compared to your existing bulbs.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread needs more legs I reckon. I have a friend who owns a 2016 Camry Atara S who wants to upgrade his stock headlight globes because he reckons they aren't cutting the mustard anymore. I did ask though, were they better than they are now or is it just your eyes playing tricks. He's not sure, but he seems to think his lights aren't as bright as they used to be, which begs the question. Do the stock Halogen globes lose their intensity over time ??

I have briefly looked at the Stedi brand and can see these being a good option for not only better performance but for longevity and reliability too.

I just wish people who do these upgrades would come back and share their impressions and some data so we can all benefit from the pool of knowledge.

I also see Osram as a good brand option. Are there any other brands that have had a good track record ? Further to this, I don't want the ones that emit the Blue Light either. I'd want them to be as close to the original as possible. I don't mind the whiteness, but I hate the blue light.

It seems, even though the factory globes aren't to the same standard of these fancy newest types of globes, but they seem to last forever.

I still have all the original globes in my Aurion believe it or not. Headlights, taillights, everything.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

• 11 months later...

I have recently acquired a 2007 Toyota Yaris from the girlfriend and it looks like it will be a weekend car instead of my Aurion. She has previously complained about the headlights not being as good as her daughter's later Toyota Corolla. I had no complaints except that it was the yellowy halogen light instead of a bright white light. Looks like I have better night vision than her. LOL.

Finally, decided to buy some replacement headlight bulbs as the existing ones could be either 6+ or 3+ years old. The Yaris has the reflector type headlights and my preference was the Phillips brand halogen bulbs for both quality and cost. I ended up ordering the Philips X-tremeVision Pro150 H4 (Twin) which comes with a 12 month warranty rather than the maximum performance Philips RacingVision GT200 H4 (Twin) with a shorter lifespan and 6 months warranty. https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/philips-racingvision-gt200-h4-twin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, campbeam said:

I have recently acquired a 2007 Toyota Yaris from the girlfriend and it looks like it will be a weekend car instead of my Aurion.

With the cost of fuel rising, I don't blame you. Good choice of vehicle for those short trips and put put around town in. 

Easy to park and light on maintenance too.

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

I had no complaints except that it was the yellowy halogen light instead of a bright white light. Looks like I have better night vision than her. LOL.

I find that the yellowy lights are easier on the eyes but some of those bright white ones tend to annoy me, blind the hell out of me which makes me think to carry welder goggles. They are distracting if you are the oncoming vehicle, believe me.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

With the cost of fuel rising, I don't blame you. Good choice of vehicle for those short trips and put put around town in. 

Easy to park and light on maintenance too.

I find that the yellowy lights are easier on the eyes but some of those bright white ones tend to annoy me, blind the hell out of me which makes me think to carry welder goggles. They are distracting if you are the oncoming vehicle, believe me.

hid-leds-xenon bulbs will tend to do that especially on fourbies there lights are at eye level when sitting in a car

Edited by Jamie Edwards

12 minutes ago, Jamie Edwards said:

hid-leds-xenon bulbs will tend to do that especially on fourbies there lights are at eye level when sitting in a car

1000% correct. I find it at the height of arrogance and selfishness that owners of such vehicles equipped with lights that can burn your retinas are even allowed to be used on the roads.
I understand it if you're "off road" and you need to navigate through trees etc, but for God's sake, why do you need them on well lit roads with other forms of lighting around you anyway ??

If I had a jar for every curse word I've used in that very situation, I'd be rich ! 😜