VSC Warning - error C1201. Any advice? EDIT:code P1660

tom717

Hi,

I have a 2008 Aurion.  I just had the 150k service done at a local midas, which included fuel filter swap, brake fluid flush, oil and filter change.

About 100kms after the service the check engine light came on., and the VSC error. Never had any warning lights prior to that in the 50,000km ive owned it.

I took it back to the shop and they read off code C1201 ABS module. They flushed brakes again (the fluid was still quite dirty leading me to wonder what they did first time around), reset the system, and the code went away.

The code came back again after about 10km after leaving Midas.

The brakes seem fine, and ABS functions when I stamp the brakes, but the check enginer and VSC errors persist on the dash.

The mechanic said if it came back to try replacing the ABS module, but I'm not sure he knows what's going on, so I'm reluctant to take it back, and not sure where to go from here.

Any hints? Who can properly diagnose this for me? Should I take it to Toyota?

Thanks. 

Edited by tom717

My view, I would drop into a Toyota service centre and see what they come up with..the old try this - try that approach can be dam costly

Good Luck Mate

KAA

18 hours ago, tom717 said:

Who can properly diagnose this for me?

Toyota.

18 hours ago, tom717 said:

They flushed brakes again (the fluid was still quite dirty

Did not do a thorough job the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I took it to Toyota. The code wasn't C1201 ABS Module as Midas told me, the code was in fact P1660 Air Bleed Circuit Malfunction . Toyota found a loose/damaged wire around the manifold, and the problem now appears resolved.

I think MIDAS were telling me stories.  See, when I originally returned to Midas I told them the dash error lights come on around the same time the ABS performs it's "Clunk clunk" self diagnosis when you start driving. I suspect they heard "ABS" and decided to run with that.

I suspect Midas damaged a wire during their original service, and then it didn't show up on the dash until I completed a driving cycle.

Very dissapointed with Midas Chatswood over this. Given they didn't bleed the brakes I suspect they did nothing much at all for the $500 I paid them, aside from possibly damage my intake wiring.

7 hours ago, tom717 said:

Very dissapointed with Midas Chatswood over this. Given they didn't bleed the brakes I suspect they did nothing much at all for the $500 I paid them, aside from possibly damage my intake wiring.

Your experience confirms my belief that franchise operations are quite dependent upon the experience/quality of the operators and staff.

Good that the Toyota service centre was able to identify the cause and fix your issue.

Wikipedia says:

The Midas touch, or the gift of profiting from whatever one undertakes, is named for a legendary king of Phrygia. Midas was granted the power to transmute whatever he touched into gold. |
Looks like they made an easy $500 from you.