Towing a boat- transmission cooler?

avalonjim

Hi there,

Relatively recently I inherited an '04 Mark III Avalon Grande (219,000 km) which is in great mechanical condition. I absolutely love it and do not want to part with it (the ride quality surpasses big late model European sedans I have driven). I'm preaching to the converted here though..

I am also the owner of an old 5 metre fibreglass boat. I have seen wildly varying estimates but I believe the total weight including the trailer and accessories is no more than 1500 kg. I am yet to take it to a weighbridge. The trailer is braked and in very good condition.

There is plenty of power on hand to pull it but I am worried about the transmission. Should I be? And if so would the installation of an aftermarket transmission cooler be of benefit?

I can't justify buying a diesel 4wd as my daily just to tow a boat throughout the summer.. 

Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Jim

Edited by avalonjim

54 minutes ago, avalonjim said:

installation of an aftermarket transmission cooler be of benefit?

Yes, particularly if you are going to be towing that weight. I would also be inclined to also change the transmission fluid to a full synthetic which has a better temperature range.

ATF Life and Temperature Relationship.docx

Synthetic Transmission Fluid.doc

Toyota Camry ATF Transmission Fluid Flush.docx

I have recently done a transmission fluid flush and change of ATF to full synthetic [on the latest project car which will be used to carry 2 adults and groceries].

For many years, I have been using XADO additives to the drive train, mainly for preventative maintenance reasons. I have just updated my eBay Watch List with the following: 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XADO-NEW-Revitalizant-EX-120-Automatic-Transmissions-TUBE-9-ml-SUPER-PRICE/262831254273?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XADO-Gel-Revitalizant-EX-120-Automatic-Transmissions-SUPER-PRICE/120961238644?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 2:08 PM, campbeam said:

Yes, particularly if you are going to be towing that weight. I would also be inclined to also change the transmission fluid to a full synthetic which has a better temperature range.

ATF Life and Temperature Relationship.docx

Synthetic Transmission Fluid.doc

Toyota Camry ATF Transmission Fluid Flush.docx

I have recently done a transmission fluid flush and change of ATF to full synthetic [on the latest project car which will be used to carry 2 adults and groceries].

For many years, I have been using XADO additives to the drive train, mainly for preventative maintenance reasons. I have just updated my eBay Watch List with the following: 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XADO-NEW-Revitalizant-EX-120-Automatic-Transmissions-TUBE-9-ml-SUPER-PRICE/262831254273?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/XADO-Gel-Revitalizant-EX-120-Automatic-Transmissions-SUPER-PRICE/120961238644?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Thanks for your tips Ashley, I'll definitely run with them. I had a look at coolers and you can pick up the supposedly superior 'stack plate' designed ones for not much more than the others so I'll go with that I think. Any suggestions on that front?

• 9 months later...

I have the 2003 Avalon Vxi, ..the model below the Grande apparently with all the bells and whistles except the sunroof and the GPS dvd/radio. Everything else in this car is absolute peaceful luxury and I wholeheartedly concur with you in singing its praises. Its only just hit 148,000 k’s and I just LOVE driving it.......now to your question.

I have a 17 foot Jayco poptop with a tare weight of just over 1200 kg and by the time we minimally load up for a family of four, that weight will sneak up to between 1450 and 1500 kg. 

In spite of having had the Jayco for six years now, circumstances have been that we have only taken it away three times from our home in Adelaide. to Mt. Gambier,..Pt. Pirie and Broken Hill.

I do have a transmission cooler on the Avalon which I always believed to be standard, even though the car never had a tow bar or electric brake controller on it until I had them fitted,.... but now after reading the previous replies here, I’m beginning to wonder if mine may have been fitted by the previous one elderly owner,.....I will never know.

The point however is that the Avalon towed the loaded van beautifully, including the continual climb up the Mt. Barker Road to Crafers before the road began to level out again. I never got below 65 kph going up that hill and the overall fuel average over the entire return trip was still 17 mpg (I still calculate in the old imperial mpg method)..quite good for towing that weight behind me but then, once we were up on a steady 80/90 kph, the van towed like it was on rails, as if it wasnt even there. No harm to the trans and of course no overheating either.

The same positive outcomes also applied to the orher two trips away. The Avalon performed to perfection and smooth quiet comfort,....the ideal long distance tow vehicle.

Edited by brickpaver

Quick look at the parts catalogues and it does appear the the standard transmission oil cooler on the Avalon is a standalone unit, so it is probably just the factory one