Aurion Belt Replacement

squibby

Hi Guys.

My new TRD Aurion makes a squeak that's sounds very similar to this one:

https://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/39853-issue-with-squeal-coming-from-engine-area/

I'm a mecanically minded guy, so happy to tackle this sooner than later. It seems I probably don't have the tools to remove the pulley from the Alternator, but besides that minor issue, are there any guides on here in removing that belt? Seems a little different on a TRD in that it also appears to wrap around the supercharger, but a guide for a standard Aurion will do.

I'm looking for answers to things like, how to release the tension on the belt. This should allow me to whip out the alternator to inspect.

Other minor issues I'm experiencing, Engine seems to rock a LOT more on the TRD than my stock Aurion. The dogbone engine mount appears to be fine on inspection, do any of the other mounts wear out? I'm going to put a new one in because it's a 10minute job for that one. Or does the TRD just rock more due to the additional poke? anyone noticed on comparison?

I remember it being pretty easy to do on my TRD (rip baby), take off the driver side wheel, remove the access panel, and use something to back off the belt tensioner and then the rest is pretty straightforwards, just take note of the routing if you don't have that handy sticker in the engine bay anymore :)

3 hours ago, squibby said:

Engine seems to rock a LOT more on the TRD

I have used Sikaflex 227 or similar liquid polyurethane to reinforce the engine mounts on other vehicles. Still on the to do list for my Aurions.

Main issue is that when you open the tube, it needs to be used very quickly within the next day or so before it hardens in the tube.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Sikaflex-Adhesive-227-150mL/284175

Ah yes, The Oil line replacement Tutorial covers what I wanted to know. signs of a quality forum! liking it so far.

EDIT UPDATE:

Ok, so after watching a bit of youtube, there was a method to check serpentine belts. Spray water on the belt. If the belt is slack, the water lubes it too much and it squeals even more. If the belt is tight, but the belt is out of alignment somewhere, the water lubes the belt and the squealing stops. If there is a dodgey pulley somewhere, the water will change absolutely nothing and the pulley will keep on squealing.

So after a few sprays, it seems I've got something ever so slightly out of alignment somewhere because the squealing immediately stopped after only a couple of sprays on the supercharger pulley. Perhaps it's not the alternator pully as I first thought. I'll give the engine bay a good degrease and clean because the quoted videos also said that dirt and foreign matter could also be causing a squeak. 

Is this a common one for Aurions? Found so many serpentine belt/pulley related topics online.

Edited by squibby
Update

You're a star mate, thanks for posting. Played with it some more and their is virtually buggery wrong with it. Whatever it is just seems to be a veeeerrrrry slight mis-fit somewhere. I'll check I've got the new idler pulleys and if not, that's where I'll start. Thanks for posting. So I need two correct?

Go and re-read the article. It mentions an additional cover plate for the idler pulley. This is something that I have not had to do.

However, I have given the belt a few sprays of de-watering fluid. Not exactly positive whether that is recommended.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Very good discussion i understood a lots from it. My Aurion (2007) makes exactly same noise. This is now my biggest headache. 

Where can i find those two idler pulleys? Any suggestions? or links highly appreciated.

BTW: I found this diagram that has slightly more detailed.

Cheers

maxresdefault (2).jpg

• Like 1

You could try greasing the sealed bearings on the idler pulley/s instead of replacing them.

Following YouTube video shows how to do it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+lubricate+sealed+bearings&&view=detail&mid=0C2A9B5B5761EA2C9A1A0C2A9B5B5761EA2C9A1A&&FORM=VDRVRV

58 minutes ago, campbeam said:

You could try greasing the sealed bearings on the idler pulley/s instead of replacing them.

Following YouTube video shows how to do it.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+lubricate+sealed+bearings&&view=detail&mid=0C2A9B5B5761EA2C9A1A0C2A9B5B5761EA2C9A1A&&FORM=VDRVRV

Yeah that's good idea! :) i'll do that. 

• 11 months later...

Hey Guys,

Just for heads up, in case anyone has same problem. 

It turned out alternator pulley. I've watched this video and they have mentioned the pulley needs to be replaced with every belt change service.

So I took the cup off and I found dirt and dust inside it. No surprise why it was making that sound.