I do 16,000 kms per year. Is it worth it for me to buy a hybrid Camry?

thisguy

I guess if I got a new job that figure of about !6,000 kms per year could change. I am interested in possibly buying a brand new Camry later this year. Is it worth my while to buy a hybrid version? Has the cost of replacing the hybrid battery come down and has the resale value improved? Would I save enough in fuel costs to justify buying a hybrid Camry?

I guess I'd be look at buying at least the Ascent Sport Camry or higher.

Thanks.

Edited by thisguy

I estimate fuel savings of about $700 p.a. Facor in a battery life of 10 years plus the CVT possibly having to be replaced then it just balances out.

As a definite used car buyer [until I win Lotto], I am avoiding vehicles with CVT and battery packs.

This is what is coming in the near future and will certainly cause me to re-think my current preferences/biases.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/02/28/toyota-thermally-efficient-engine/

The sooner the money hungry lawmakers in this country roll out the infrastructure required the cleaner our world will be - with Toyotas existing Hydro technology. Whether TMC has a deal with the petro co's or not could be the other consideration holding them back.

In response to OP, it really depends on type of driving - if mostly city driving then more fuel will be saved, if mostly fwy then less.

3 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

In response to OP, it really depends on type of driving - if mostly city driving then more fuel will be saved, if mostly fwy then less.

I pretty much do all my driving around the suburbs and the city. I tend not to go down freeways, although that might change with a new car. As I live in an outer suburb of Melbourne, when I go to work in the city I normally park at a train station and catch the train into the city.

Edited by thisguy

• 1 year later...

According to a senior Toyota service guy I know a long time, none. These new cars are more advanced & well sorted. They go in for regular service not requiring any attention out of the ordinary. Brakes are huge & last a long time, CVT is strong, engines are same. I love the V6 but would most likely get a Hybrid if in the market for one. Will be on top of my list early next year if I decide to get a new daily & am considering selling my Hachi (it just sits in the garage accumulating dust) but $$ values worry me. I'm expecting a revised Camry end of year . . . .

ZZT86 that is my other concern as well that a revised / face lift comes next year. I’ve asked the dealership and they don’t know of any updates. Unless they push the update to 2021. 

23 hours ago, abr126 said:

Hey thisguy what did you end up getting?

ZZT86 I’m looking at the new SL hybrid, have you heard about any issues with then CVT? 

A 2018 Camry SL 4 cylinder with a petrol engine and 6 speed auto.

Edited by thisguy

3 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

@thisguy  how do you find it ? Any concerns ? Where could Toyota improve it ? Cheers

It's quite simply the best car I've ever owned. 

It might have a couple of niggles, but every car has those. The lid for the storage between the 2 front seats opens in a awkward manner, but you get used to it. It doesn't have Apple Carplay but I'm OK with that.

I'm yet to find out when the subscription for the Navigation starts needing to be paid. I just have to remember to chase that up with Toyota. I must remember to see about getting the Maps updated, there's been the odd occasion when the Navigation has given me strange directions.

But, really, I've got no real complaints.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, abr126 said:

@thisguy how do you find the 2.5L in terms of power?

It’s good for my needs. It’s something you’d need to decide for yourself with a test drive.

4 hours ago, abr126 said:

As I’ve been speaking with Toyota a lot lately they said apple car play is coming and existing new Camrys can be updated but at a cost. 

What sort of cost? 

On 7/25/2019 at 7:01 AM, abr126 said:

As I’ve been speaking with Toyota a lot lately they said apple car play is coming and existing new Camrys can be updated but at a cost. 

I'd be very interested in getting Apple Car Play on mine, I very nearly didn't buy the Camry because it didn't have that - glad I did buy though as the car is excellent in every other way and I figured they would make it available later.

Do you have an approximate time frame for it?

Thanks. 👍

29 minutes ago, Davo'sCamry said:

I'd be very interested in getting Apple Car Play on mine, I very nearly didn't buy the Camry because it didn't have that - glad I did buy though as the car is excellent in every other way and I figured they would make it available later.

Do you have an approximate time frame for it?

Thanks. 👍

Hi Davo, they only said towards the end of 2019. So not that long to wait. Which Camry do you have? 

10 minutes ago, abr126 said:

Hi Davo, they only said towards the end of 2019. So not that long to wait. Which Camry do you have? 

Hybrid SL, very nice, and goes well when you give it some wellie.

Overall I'm very happy with the car but the front parking sensors are pretty crap - they are right on the corners and don't sense what's in front until it's very nearly too late! 🤯

I’ve realised the title of my thread is no longer accurate. I’ve owned my Camry for about 14 months now and it’s done less than 12,000 kilometers. 

Edited by thisguy

Thanks @Davo’sCamry, good to hear you like the SL hybrid. Think that is the way to go. I noticed the same thing with the sensors when I test drove them, the sales man had to get out to check the front for me!