South Africa Vs Japan Build

Living in Australia, I have recently found out that some of the ZZE range Corollas were made in South Africa. Being nieve, I had assumed that all of that generation corolla was built in Japan.

Does anyone know the differences between those manufactured in South Africa vs those in Japan. Specifically, i have an '06 model and want to know if parts between the two builds are the same. I have heard rumours that door handles maybe be slightly different but not sure of anything else. I haven't been able to find much on the internet either so any experience would be most appreciated.

Check the VIN on the placard in the engine bay. First three letter AHT denotes SA built, JTD denotes Japanese built. The Corolla Sportivo of that era all came from SA, for the record.

I'm aware that the majority of the parts came from Japan regardless of where the vehicle was assembled, however the seams and gaps are known to be more consistent on Japanese built vehicles.

front brake pads are different. the south africa ones are bigger. sound deadening appears enhanced with japan assembled as in the guards it is furry as opposed to south africa using a hard plastic type coating. battery size might be different. the battery hold down rod is different. tyres are different. south africa coming with bridestone but japan using dunlop. ECU wiring can be different too this will matter if you are shopping for a harness to go with another ECU.

• Like 1