Save 10-20% fuel

I found that you run significantly less fuel when you press a button ...

who wants to guess which button ?

this is after 20km after reset. Hilly back roads 60 and 80km/h with AirCon ON

feathering as much as humanly possible, dropping speed at a crest etc.

Backroads .JPG

What you have demonstrated is your application of certain fuel saving driving techniques is producing results. Pressing a button is just giving you visual feedback. Further feedback is how deep you have to dig into your wallet when you refuel.

Driving sensibly and smoothly has its own rewards and benefits.

Friday night's sleep got interrupted by a male P plate driver writing off his mother's commodore and neighbour's work van parked in his driveway. Further feedback to drive safe and to be alert for those Keep Left traffic signs and islands in the middle of the road.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Saving fuel is essentially all about efficiency. It starts with having a well maintained regularly serviced vehicle. Consider the quality of engine oil and transmission/differential oils. Ensure brakes and drive shafts/CV joints are well maintained so the wheels can rotate freely.

Next look at the driving style. Smooth acceleration rather than hard acceleration. Drive safe and smart, avoiding the teenage idiots racing and braking hard destroying the life of their vehicles.I also use what I refer to as roadcraft. Watch the traffic flow and anticipate what is going to happen. Ease off on the accelerator to reduce need for braking. Brake early so you do not need to come to a complete stop. On the open highway, I try to use overtaking lanes to get past slower vehicles or sometimes it is just a matter of being patient and not overtaking.

I achieved my best fuel economy figures driving with cruise control set at 100kph on highway across absolutely flat terrain with no traffic in front of me. I also followed a slower vehicle for a few kms which also stopped at the next town where I refuelled. From memory, it worked out to be 7.1 litres per 100 kms so quite pleased for a 2006 3.5litre V6.