Items to look for!

awatea

Hi Guys.

Am looking to buy a XV20 Camry 98-02, as i always liked the look of this model.

Have had 2 SV21's, a 1987 and 1990 model. Both great cars.

This will be a second vehicle mostly for around town usage but maybe the odd trip up to Sydney.

Question I want to know is, what to look out for in this perticular model.

Have been told to stay away from the V6 and get a 4.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

We bought the 1998 Camry CSX auto rather than the CSi base model. The unexpected replacement items were the lower control arms and the rear sway bar bushings for a roadworthy. I ended up speaking with the mechanic and he said that he had noted the vehicle condition from how well the doors closed. Engine timing belt needs to be replaced say every 100,000 kms.

Look for a vehicle that has been well serviced. I regularly changed the engine oil every 5,000 kms. Auto transmission was fully flushed to replace the ATF. Unexpected feature is that the differential is separate not incorporated into the auto transmission. Something I missed for quite some time so the fluid was quite black when finally replaced.

Struts should have been replaced. If older than 5 years, plan upon having to replace them.

My teenage sons comment about the poor performance presumably comparing to a 2010 Camry. I did spoil them by getting a manual Honda Prelude [sold before the timing belt had to be replaced] so they could obtain their manual driver's license.

I found it to be ok for urban driving but lacking in overtaking ability on the highway. A main reason why I wanted a V6 Camry and resulted in an impromptu buy of my 2006 Aurion on eBay. Glad I made the effort to inspect the vehicle at the nearby wholesale dealer and raised my bid to win.

The 1MZ-FE V6 is actually very reliable. It is like any FWD V6 difficult to do maintenance on, but if you need a little extra power it is a decent option.

The 5S-FE is a very reliable engine as well, with the valve cover being one of the few places they commonly leak. This is a cheap and easy fix.

They are reliable, cheap and economical cars to run and repair compared to some on the market.

My only downside to them is the interior comfort is a little lacking, but you really can't expect much more at that price point.

Pretty much all covered as above but personally not a fan of the 4 pot 5S-FE although much easier to service. The 6pot 1MZ-FE is excellent, smooth, quiet & capable of revving out beyond 6K rpm without a care in the world if desired & known to last a very long time.

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

I would also have a look at the XV20 Vienta model. I think that they all had a 6 cylinder engine.

MCV20 was the designation for all 20 series V6 models.

The Vienta has always been a V6, as with the Touring.

Cheers guys for all your input.

Will let ya all know how I got on getting one. :)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I've been out test driving a few models.

I've decided the Vienta is the bomb.

Have 3 I'm seriously considering.

One thing I've noticed in all the one's I've check out is a water leak in the boot.

Left hand side next to the spare wheel.

Has anyone else seen this?

Personally don't have any leaks in my MCV20R Azura, perhaps the boot just needs adjusting to close tighter ? I have done this on mine & re-aligned it left to right.

There is a breather vent on the LHS, perhaps damaged as a result from previous accident damage, who knows, should be no leaks.

XV20s are big enough that you can climb in to the boot with a torch and have someone hose over the outside of the car too if you want to check for leaks.  I'd be looking at the boot seal, around the taillights, and also checking the cabin overpressure vent, along with making sure the drain plugs for the spare wheel well and the side wells are fitted properly

One of the owners showed me what he had done to prevent water entering.

But the next owner didn't know about it when I investigated the boot to see water actually pooling there. He was astounded.

Well I've bought a 1999 Vienta VXi, 170,000 on the clock but serviced by the book.

Car is in excellent condition for the age, a couple of carpark battles but it won through the day.

Vienta VXi 1.jpg