Excessive Fuel Consumption..2000 Camry Touring..Auto

Tesla747

Hi,  Just had the Engine and Assembly removed from my V6..2000 Camry Touring to replace rear main seal and water/timing belt kit, also fuel filter for engine in front and filter/pump in tank..Problem now is poor fuel consumption...It was under 8 L/ per 100 km. now it is 10.4 L  per 100 km...Any help to solve this problem would be appreciated...Cheers Paul..

NB: What should be the Revs on my Standard 2000 Camry V6 Touring at 110 Kmh..

Edited by Tesla747

Automatic ? If so . . . 10.4L/100km isn't uncommon, depends on driving style/conditions & perhaps tyre pressures ?

@100km/h it's about 2250rpm, @ 110km/h I would guess between 2300-2350rpm.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Automatic ? If so . . . 10.4L/100km isn't uncommon, depends on driving style/conditions & perhaps tyre pressures ?

@100km/h it's about 2250rpm, @ 110km/h I would guess between 2300-2350rpm.

Simple maths will tell you that if it's 2250rpm @ 100km/h, then going 10% faster (110km/h) will increase the revs to just under 2500rpm.

• Thanks 1

Just took the car for a test drive....100 Kmh = 2400 Rpm....110 Kmh = 2600 Rpm...When the Body was being lifted from engine the cable from the Tbar drive selection was still attached to the engine and possibly stretched...Just wondering if the auto is going into high range...

Your last post reminded me that there is an electric overdrive button on my 1998 4cyl auto Camry CSX.

Unsure whether your vehicle would have the same 4 speed auto transmission.

If your auto is not going into overdrive, then this is going to impact the engine revs and fuel economy. If applicable, I would be checking the connections for the electric overdrive.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tesla747 said:

Just took the car for a test drive....100 Kmh = 2400 Rpm....110 Kmh = 2600 Rpm...When the Body was being lifted from engine the cable from the Tbar drive selection was still attached to the engine and possibly stretched...Just wondering if the auto is going into high range...

You'd know if it was stuck in 3rd and not shifting in to 4th (overdrive), as it'd easily be doing 3000+rpm at highway speeds.  Not hard to count gear-changes by ear/feel either (just make sure you account for the torque converter locking up which can sometimes sound/feel like an extra shift)

• Thanks 1

I confirmed this the other day in my 2001 Azura V6 - 100kmh = 2300rpm & 110kmh = b/w 2500-2550 rpm which means @Hiro was spot on ;) The tacho isn't the easiest thing to read on this vehicle.

My car has only just ticked over 105K kms & has new B/S tyres, speed almost dead accurate against GPS within about 2kmh which is strange for any car let alone a Toyota.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...