Noise when starting ignition

Hi, I have just joined and would like to ask a question to anyone that may be able to help me. 

My car has started making a clunky grinding sort of noise when pushing the push start ignition, the noise only happens for a few seconds and then it's fine no other issued just an intermittent noise at start up. 

Have taken it to the mechanic who said he cant really tell me much as it didn't make the noise for them however had the battery tested and that failed so replaced that yesterday and when first starting it after new battery it started but turned off after about 20 secs but restarted again straight away but its still making the noise.

If I can give u any more information please let me know I just have no idea what it could be and its driving me crazy ad I don't want to break down somewhere with my kids in the car!

Thanks in advance for any replies really appreciate, I have a video of the noise and will try and attach it.

TRIM_20180523_171753.mp4

Mechanical rattle like a CVJ, not sure it could make such a racket at startup though . . . something loose, does it make the racket when you rev it from idle, try revving slowly.

Nope no noise at any other time only on start up and only randomly🤔 like I have started it a few times today as been on school run and shops etc and it only done it once after sitting for 2 hours then not again today, everyone I have spoken to mechanic,toyota etc are saying starter motor but when I tell them it's only happening very random they are unsure , when I listened it sort of sounded further back not to the front of the car where the starter is located, is the cvj u mentioned in that area? Sorry I have no idea lol

Just realised cvj means cv joints it isn't making a noise when turning or any other time only straight after pushing keyless push button could it still be the cv joints?

So perhaps only when engine cold ? If you can get someone else to start it whilst you listen to the suspect area using a long sturdy screwdriver touching part in question like a starter motor. It's going to be difficult to pinpoint without a helping hand. I hope you have a CTEK charger or similar as you will kill your battery after many repeated starts & little to no drive - leave it overnight to charge if you can.

How many kms has it done ?

Edited by ZZT86

Sorry what should I do with the screwdriver? We just replaced the battery yesterday as when they tested it it failed came up as 400 so we replaced it as they said the battery could be causing the starter not to work properly which could cause a noise, but it didn't help but atleast that's one suspect out if the way lol

If you're really keen you can buy a stethoscope from supercheap, otherwise with the screwdriver you pretty much have your ear against the end of it which helps you to hear if the sound is coming from the thing it's touching.

Ok I will give that a try thanks for the help sending it back to the mechanic this afternoon so will see how we go, hopefully they can diagnose it this time!

What is the service history on your vehicle? 

Could be VVT Variable Valve Timing which are know for noise at start up if the engine is not serviced correctly.

Most on this forum would agree this engine requires a shorter service interval than the is specified in the service manual, to be on the safe side say very 10,000km or six months (whichever comes first)

• 2 months later...