2005 Remote Locking

I recently bought a 2005 Corolla hatch ZZE112R, and I was only given a single key, no remote. 

The questions are:

1) Did all these models have remote locking capability? Or was it in some cases an optional extra?
2) How can I tell if my model had it, and a previous owner had lost the remote fob?
3) If it didn't come with remote, how can I retrofit a remote module? Is it difficult/expensive?

Thanks guys... RK

Yes they do have a remote. I have the same model as yours and I thought I had lost mine. Got a replacement at one of those stalls found in shopping malls. Cost about $40 and comes with a set of instructions on how to program it for your car...After I did all that I found my "lost" remote. Left it on the counter in the Pro Shop :) So I now have an additional spare set.  While I was at it I repeated the process for my 2001 Camry.. Hope this helps you...

Edited by Topdog
correction

4 hours ago, Topdog said:

Yes they do have a remote. I have the same model as yours and I thought I had lost mine. Got a replacement at one of those stalls found in shopping malls. Cost about $40 and comes with a set of instructions on how to program it for your car...After I did all that I found my "lost" remote. Left it on the counter in the Pro Shop :) So I now have an additional spare set.  While I was at it I repeated the process for my 2001 Camry.. Hope this helps you...

Hey Topdog, thanks for your reply... as it turns out, it looks like the remote key receiver unit is not under the rear driver's side lining. I also can't see a wiring plug or loom there for the unit. Perhaps my model did not come with a remote locking :(

I find it hard to believe that the wiring at least would not be there, but maybe someone could shed some light on that.

Most ZZE model Corolla's came with remote locking keys. What trim level is your car?

Also, does your current key look similar to this key?

Image result for toyota key

The best possible way to add the remote locking function would definitely be to invest in an alarm system with locking. It would be better than most factory locking systems. Price would be depending on what model and brand you choose.

yeah, the current key is exactly that key. 
The workshop manual shows the receiver in the rear pillar behind the rear passenger pillar on the driver's side.
Looking in there, there is no receiver, and no wiring harness for it. See Item D4 in the attachment. 
Is it possible it could be located elsewhere?
It's not necessary to install an alarm on this car. I don't want to go to that expense. I want my missus to be able to walk up and unlock the car so she doesn't have to fiddle with a key on a busy street for example.

zze Lock Receiver.jpg

hey all,

An update to this topic if anyone needs it...
Eventually, I found the unit, but was installed in the drivers footwell, and on top of that, it's different to what's shown in the manual, but it's still a Genuine Toyota accessory.
part number is: PZQ71-12071, and it looks like it might be the single button remote, which is also an alarm.

I'll post more when I know more.

Hi, I'm on same path as you,  also want to install remote key where i didn't have one before. There are a few different modules here that you are referring to, so i will refer to what i can recall (just back from pub lol). If you do some digging around forums and google, you will get more info about these.

* Remote locking module - under footwell as you said, should bolt in, make sure you have aerial cable for signal, abd bolts to attach it. The connection from memkry connects to the immobiliser. Kicker is buying remote key, and then coding to the car, as most threads about this refer to an existing key being closed, or using existing key to open up vehicle to accepting second key. I havent dug hard enough yet to code a key from scratch.

*Immobiliser changed around 2004, when facelift model came in. After a point, remote module was i think part of immobiliser?

* Alarm is a seperate option, generally added on; you can buy from toyota($$$), *might* be able to salvage from wreckers. Or buy third party one.

Hope this helps!

I read that if you don't have a key, you got to disconnect the battery for 30 seconds, then do the ignition off-on 20 times in 12 seconds. The blinkers should blink, then you are in program mode.

One problem for me on this is that my key is a bit worn, and it snags sometimes, and it will very difficult to get 20 cycles in 12 seconds. 

I'm going to get another key cut, and one with the remote built in that hopefully suits.

Hopefully this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes.

OK everyone, and update...
I bought one of those flip keys with the remote built in (3 buttons). The dude cut and coded the security in the key.

I took it home and did the battery disconnect for 30 seconds, then turned ignition from lock to on 20 times, and the blinkers started flashing indicating it was in program mode.

Pressed the button on my remote. Turned the ignition lock to on 2 times. Done.

Works like a champ.

Hope this helps someone.