swapping full size spare for Space saver ?

Benno1

Hi fellas, had a set of scales in the garage and was rotating tyres. Thought i'd pop the full size spare onto them. It came in at 40kg! 

Thats a substantial bit of weight to be lugging around considering fuel prices are 3 year high and climbing. Has anyone swapped their spare for a space saver? I was thinking of swapping them over but not sure if thats possible, the Avalon is a heavy car. Do i just need to match 5 stud bolt patterns with 110mm spacing? Anything to look out for?

Photo 25-5-18, 10 50 46 am.jpg

Stud pattern is 5/114.3mm.

https://www.bobjane.com.au/choose-tyres-and-wheels-for-your-vehicle/

If you are concerned about fuel economy, far better to check your tyre pressures and make certain that your vehicle is well serviced.

I have increased my tyre pressure from 36psi to 38psi on my Aurion which would be similar weight configuration to your Avalon.

Thanks for that. i'm getting an average of 11L/100km. (mostly smooth driving) Work is slow until financial year and i'm on a tight budget. 

For what ever reason tyre pressures have been in KPA for the Avalon. (210kpa) had me head scratching at the servo. A quick conversion on phone returned 210kpa as around 30psi. That confused me because usually most cars sit around 34psi from memory and 30 seemed v low. So i just put 34psi in. Any idea what thats about?

Edited by Benno1

35 minutes ago, Benno1 said:

Thanks for that. i'm getting an average of 11L/100km. (mostly smooth driving) Work is slow until financial year and i'm on a tight budget. 

For what ever reason tyre pressures have been in KPA for the Avalon. (210kpa) had me head scratching at the servo. A quick conversion on phone returned 210kpa as around 30psi. That confused me because usually most cars sit around 34psi from memory and 30 seemed v low. So i just put 34psi in. Any idea what thats about?

If they are the stock wheels then put in whatever the pressure says on the tyre placard.  30psi is definitely not low for a high-profile factory tyre (Avalons run what, 205/65-R15?)

30psi is fine then, note that is cold pressure though so if you've driven to the servo it'll be a few psi higher.