How to remove an Aurion bonnet.

boxerboy

Howdy.

I need to remove the bonnet of a 2008 Prodigy. Are there any tricks to know?

Support bonnet, struts off, windscreen hose disconnect, undo bolts at the hinge. Anything unusual in the technique?

Then, the front bumper too.

Any "gotcha's" there?

Thanks.

Easy enough. Two bolts either side separate the bonnet from the bracket, L&R.

The C shaped clip holding the struts in place were fiddly, but once I worked out to use a flat screwdriver to loosen them enough it was done. 10 minute job really

As a general rule, usually easier to disassemble than to refit. Fun part will be getting the bolts back in and adjusting the bonnet.

Never removed the bonnet but I am assuming that you would have had assistance.

I have replaced the struts a few times and have found having a broom handle to hold the bonnet up makes the job a lot easier.

Thanks @campbeam. All as you describe though adjustment was very close first up. The drivers side at the bracket is ever so slightly lower than the adjacent panel.

The latch was a bit bent so opening and closing requires a little brutane. I'll need to see how I can improve that. I might try and source another latch.

The struts are also sagging, though they weren't last week...so I'll need a new pair.

Edited by boxerboy

On 6/30/2018 at 1:30 PM, boxerboy said:

Thanks @campbeam. All as you describe though adjustment was very close first up. The drivers side at the bracket is ever so slightly lower than the adjacent panel.

The latch was a bit bent so opening and closing requires a little brutane. I'll need to see how I can improve that. I might try and source another latch.

The struts are also sagging, though they weren't last week...so I'll need a new pair.

The struts are $60 each from Toyota... Don't go aftermarket like  I did, the ones I bought originally were crap and you had to physically force the bonnet up. Ended up just buying the Toyota part, works a lot better. 

Too late. I bought some! I'll give 'em a try. My son also has an Aurion so maybe I'll swap a cheap one over with an older oem one and split 'em between the two cars.

Edited by boxerboy

16 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

The struts are $60 each from Toyota... Don't go aftermarket like  I did, the ones I bought originally were crap and you had to physically force the bonnet up. Ended up just buying the Toyota part, works a lot better. 

Agreed, the ones I got on my 2008 are rubbish, made in North Korea and bought from Repco. On the bright side I only have to push the bonnet up about twice a month and only for checking the fluids :)

• Like 1