Is there a noticeable difference in the driving experience between the current Camry and the previous version?

thisguy

I've got the 2018 4 cylinder Camry and as this is my first Camry I don't know what the previous versions of the Camry are like to drive. I do know I've admired the looks of Camrys over the years. 

I just know I've seen video reviews that say the current Camry is based on a new architecture and that there are some improvements in driving it, including the way it handles corners. Is there really a noticeable difference compared to the previous version?

• 4 weeks later...

There's usually always noticeable improvements in the way they drive, steer & handle. I always noticed the difference in my old Celicas, my dads 2003 ACV36 Sportivo is a completely different kettle of fish compared to my 2001 MCV20 Azura despite only being 2 years apart in age & of similar kms driven. The steering & handling is so agile compared to my MCV20R, I guess also the heavier V6 engine in the MCV wouldn't be doing it any favours.

• 4 weeks later...

Short answer is YES, the 70 Series sits on the new TNGA platform (Same as C-HR & new Corolla) the wheelbase is longer, track wider, and weight lower making the balance of the car notably better. The SL has a reasonably soft suspension tune so rides well on 18" wheels but it also turns in and controls the body well. it's defiantly a more engaging and enjoyable car to drive. In the past you wouldn't have bothered trying  to drive any Camry or Aurion "Spiritedly"  other than the Sportivo/ TRD variants where as with this model you could have fun in any variant. 

• Like 2