RAV4 2016 2.5 AWD Engine Oil

tig

Hello All,

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but search didn't reveal useful info and oil change is coming up..

I just got a 2016 RAV4 2.5 AWD and seeking (preferably practical) experience/advice for what viscosity of engine oil to use.

The user manual shows a number of possible 'selections' considering local temperature range till next serivce (Sydney Winter now to probably summer). But there's preference especially among US users for 0W-20 etc...

So, what should be used here? I'm near Camden and many mornings are 0C or close. And we know summers can be 40C+

Appreciate any helpful advice - thanks!

RAV4 Manual Oil Crop1.jpg

As per attached document, really important to use the oil viscosity recommended in your car owner's manual.

Because of winter lower temperatures, go for the lower viscosity 0W-20, 5W-20 or 5W-30 as recommended in your car owner's manual.

When buying oil, my preference is for the specification ILSAC GF-5, then secondly API SN/CF. 

https://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/

How To Pick The Right Motor Oil For Your Car.doc

7 hours ago, tig said:

The user manual shows a number of possible 'selections' considering local temperature range till next serivce (Sydney Winter now to probably summer). But there's preference especially among US users for 0W-20 etc...

Remember that the US as a whole sees much colder temperatures than Australia does - the entire northern half of the country gets winter lows that could freeze the balls off a brass monkey.

• 10 months later...

Up from the grave this thread rises!

I don't work for them, but I'm a loyalist of Mobil1, especially their 0w40 grade, so you can most certainly fill your 2.5L AWD with this bad boy.

The "40" will cover your hot summer temperatures easily anywhere in Australia, whilst the "0" will be great for cold engine startups during winter.

Mobil1 is factory fill for most Japanese and European exotics (Lexus LFA, all of the Lexus V8 F models), some f1 teams and most of Australia's Supercar teams or Holden's Racing Teams.

• 2 months later...

Castrol Edge 10W-30 5L full synthetic when it's on sale (~$32).  The oil grade is as per user manual for Australian/Victorian temperatures.  This is the same oil grade that the dealerships use and is significantly cheaper when compared to the other oil grades referred to in the user manual.  It is a waste of money to pay for a different oil grade if within your area you will never be driving in -12 degrees Celsius or less.