Tips needed for paper filter oil change.

twoeasy

I want to do an oil change  [myself] on a 2013 Camry Ateva.   I purchased a Ryco oil filter # R2648P for my model but was surprised when I opened it to find a paper filter inside compared with the spin on canisters I have used in the past.   I have heard that I need a 'special tool' to remove the cover and some sort of tube to bleed out the oil?   Is it also true that this 'new' type of cover is plastic and not metal??   Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, as my mechanical skills are limited.  Is anyone out there familiar with this type of oil filter????

Edited by twoeasy

15 minutes ago, twoeasy said:

I want to do an oil change  [myself] on a 2013 Camry Ateva.   I purchased a Ryco oil filter # R2648P for my model but was surprised when I opened it to find a paper filter inside compared with the spin on canisters I have used in the past.   I have heard that I need a 'special tool' to remove the cover and some sort of tube to bleed out the oil?   Is it also true that this 'new' type of cover is plastic and not metal??   Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, as my mechanical skills are limited.

Yes, a lot of modern Toyotas have a re-usable filter housing and you only replace the element inside.

• 1 month later...

I buy in bulk my oil filter cartridges on eBay using part number 04152-YZZA1 in the search term.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-of-5-For-Toyota-Highlander-Venza-Oil-Filter-Engine-04152-YZZA1-Pack-Kit/173069930798

Because I do mainly short distance driving, I change my oil and filter more often e.g. every 3 months.