GSV40 Factory Reset Head Unit

DJScope

20180812_090542.thumb.jpg.0d808de31c537195edc10a25b509bb4a.jpg

I bought a second hand 2010 GSV40 Aurion SX6 which had the factory head unit (the premium one, see photo, but might also work on the standard one) was locked saying "Please contact your dealer". Funny enough I found out a manual override for this by just pressing the mode button on the steering wheel which allowed me to use the head unit, but I digress. The only problem is that the head unit would lock itself every time I shut off the car. For me, this is very frustrating. Though a very small issue, I decided to investigate further.

Toyota aren't any help at all. They want me to pay them $70 so they can reset it. A procedure so easy to do yourself it literally takes 30 seconds. So I got my hands on some GSV40 literature and went digging further, but the only thing I found was that if you hold the buttons 1 and 6 together and simultaneously press DISC three times, you will get a diagnostics mode where you can look at DTC codes and get some useful information. However this was only a soft diagnostics mode. So I started trying to do other button combinations to see if I can get lucky, and lo and behold, I hit jackpot.
There are actually three "hidden" diagnostic modes that you are able to get into. 

All three modes can navigated with the corresponding function buttons (the numbers), Seek (up and down) and Menu (to go back).

1. Holding 1 and 6 whilst pressing DISC three times gets you the soft diagnostics mode.
  2. Holding 3 and 4 whilst pressing DISC three times gets you a screen and radio diagnostics mode.
  3. Holding 2 and 5 whist pressing DISC three times gets you into a firmware diagnostics mode.

The firmware diagnostics mode is the one you want. Inside, you will find a option called "All Reset". This option will completely factory reset the head unit, removing any data stores including the security lock. In this mode you can also do firmware updates, version checks and all of that jazz.

I really hope that this helps someone here!

Cheers!
Igor

Edited by DJScope
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice one.

I upgraded my 08 Touring to this head unit about 18 months ago. Got it from a wrecked 2010 Camry Hybrid for a good price. Plugs straight in for anyone wanting to do the upgrade. Just make sure you get the surrounding shroud as well.

Mine did develop a small 'line' in the screen though, which doesn't effect operation and it's mainly me that notices it. Perhaps a reset will clear that?

Is there firmware upgrade available?

Does anyone know if there is an after-market reversing camera that plugs into these units?

Cheers

20 minutes ago, hixsta said:

Nice one.

Is there firmware upgrade available?

Does anyone know if there is an after-market reversing camera that plugs into these units?

Cheers

I've looks for firmware updates, but there doesn't seem to be any publicly available. Mine works without any issues so I don't believe it needs one.

For the reverse camera, I'm not 100% on this, but I think the camera is just an RCA input. Even if it isn't, it would be very easy to just splice in the correct plug as the video feed will just be analogue. I'd suggest to get a proper camera with infrared capability so you get better night legibility.

• 3 years later...

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys and Girls, sorry to hijack and older post, but I like to thank DJScope for this useful info in this thread. 

I have a 2010 touring Aurion, the sound from bluetooth calls is very low on my end hearing the caller, almost no sound. Even with the phone and head unit on highest volumes. 

The caller has no problem hearing me.  Every thing else works well as prior to my android mis upgrade stereo that was in the car for a while until my son used the car and came back with a blank screen.  So I reinstalled the original unit.

Soo did I miss something, in the first pic of the screen and diagnostics window the 'hands free volume settings' does not respond on my unit, press 5 or 6 nothing, totally unresponsive. I thought this to be a solution to my problem, but no just another problem.

The second pic is of my version, etc. which as with DJScope  cannot get a file to update unless I win lotto and can then go to a stealership.

Last pic is of an error 01 , in diagnostics, does this mean I have a problem? if so what now. 

Getting very frustrated with it. Any help would be appreciated. 

IMG20230425143645.jpg

IMG20230425141917.jpg

IMG20230425143127.jpg