Hybrid Battery level

Trixalator

Hi All,

I've been driving my 2016 camry for 10 days now and done about 1,500kms. 

I was wondering how high does the battery level go in your Energy screen? Mine always looks like it'll never completely fill up with 1 or 2 bars missing from full?

From what I understand the HSD system looks after everything but I'm just wondering if mine doesn't go to Full because it's 2nd hand and perhaps the batteries are degraded?  I have nothing to compare it with.

Other than that, it's a fantastic car and I usually get about 5.0l/100Km on my trip to and from work around Melbourne.

Thanks.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

If you go down a very long steep hill, And use the brakes to keep the needle on the ECO gage within the charging range. You will then be able to see the HV battery get fully charged.

Edited by Toyota Camry Hybrid Driver

Hi,

I think you will find your car is ok. If you go down a long steep hill, and use the brakes to keep the ECO needle within the charging range on the dial. And start off at the top of the hill at low speed. You may find that it will go up to being near full.

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone i have camry hybrid 2014 i just recently bought from marketplace 165000 km on the clock Does anyone notice the energy monitor shows your battery is fully charged and after 5 minutes its on low mark like 2 bars ???  

i am bit worried please help me out guys thanks cheers !!!

• 6 months later...

Somewhere - unfortunately I don't recall where (wish I'd bookmarked it) - it was stated that the Toyota Hybrid battery management system normally only charges and discharges the hybrid battery between something like 75%/25% or 80%/20% of the battery capacity in order to significantly reduce battery wear, i.e. to avoid a much higher rate of wear that would occur if the battery was routinely fully charged and/or fully discharged.  So the battery level not showing full is apparently normal and intentional.

Also keep in mind that when the battery is fully charged then there is no charging capacity available to implement electric braking.  Which makes me curious about what happens when a Hybrid is driven down a long or steep descent - is there any ICE braking available or is it just down to standard brakes then?

Following YouTube video by The Car Nut will give you information about the brakes on Toyota Hybrids. He has also done a series of videos on the Toyota Hybrid which should be worth your time to view.