Aurion performance mod.

Aurion fi

On 9/15/2018 at 9:52 PM, Aurion fi said:

UpDATE

I also have a 3.0 v6 camry. I checked it underneath. It dont have the squished pipe. It has a nice flowing merge. 

Im wondering why toyota intentionally had it squished up for aurion.

The 3.0 V6 makes only 156kw. There is no need to squish the pipe on that!

• 1 month later...

im considering doing this mod, where did you get it done? a few local shops aren't interested unless im just replacing mufflers or pipes. need to find a shop that will do custom stuff

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, first time poster but been lurking for a while. This is first port of call for for anything Aurion related. 

Anyway, definitely going to do this mod if I can find someone in Adelaide to do it at a reasonable cost. 

This and replace the ugly ***** wheels with some 18's, but one thing at a time.

Haven't really got under and checked out the exhaust but I assume all Aurions are same setup? Also tempted to 

replace mufflers with hot dogs. I want to hear this thing, but would love to know where the sweet spot is between too loud/quiet.

But I love this mod suggestion and if I can find someone here to do it I'll report results.

I can certainly see the benefits for this modification to the merge pipe but I also prefer to keep my Aurion stock standard. Still very tempted mainly for efficiency reasons.

Very much into low profile with a very quiet exhaust rather than loud and show off to attract the attention of the law. If you do a search on the Forum, you will find others have done muffler deletes and another fitted short sports mufflers.

After lots of reading, I have come to the conclusion that the best value upgrade is quality known brand tyres.

I am very much like Ashley, I have mainly kept our Presara stock, except lower profile tyres and upgraded head unit..I have read a lot of the exhaust mods on here, and there should be some answers or clues for the Mod already filed in the treads.

Good Luck

KAA

I get that. I had a 2006 atx until until I recently bought the 2010 Touring. Didn't do anything to it besides towbar and was a great car but nearing 170,000 kms it was time for an upgrade. For me the first gen aurions are still the nicest looking and they got less appealing each new model. I wouldn't buy any after 2011, and no other cars, within a reasonable budget, have grabbed me, so I'll stick with this one for as long as I can and plan to alter and mod it any way I think can improve it, visually and performance wise.

Started with minor things like blacking out fog grilles and front badge, which looks better already. Not into chrome on cars. Also have upgraded head unit.

Will be replacing wheels, maybe lower profile, maybe some debadging.

I know there's not a lot you can do to improve performance with these engines, but if an exhaust mod like the one Aurion Fi has done gives it some more go, it's got my attention.

Now if I could just get someone to install a traction control switch....

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Got this mod done and all that achieves it changes torque curve where you get more on lower revs. Not something that 99.9% of front wheel drive owners would find an improvement. Toyota have designed the exhaust and mapped ECU to give minimum torque steer and very linear power delivery throughout the whole rev range, so modifying is a waste of time and money. In the next week or two I will weld the old OEM Y section back because with it drivebility was far more satisfying. Don't temper with perfection, but each to their own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Booking in to have this done on my trd. Currently looking at buying a supercharger and intercooler kit from lotus. They use the same motor and make 400 HP on a stock motor . The tuning is another story. Haven't looked into if I'll need to replace the compooper entirely.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, Aaron the Mechanic said:

Got this mod done and all that achieves it changes torque curve where you get more on lower revs. Not something that 99.9% of front wheel drive owners would find an improvement. Toyota have designed the exhaust and mapped ECU to give minimum torque steer and very linear power delivery throughout the whole rev range, so modifying is a waste of time and money. In the next week or two I will weld the old OEM Y section back because with it drivebility was far more satisfying. Don't temper with perfection, but each to their own.

Reviewed this thread mainly to confirm the impact upon the torque curve. My preference is for more torque in the lower rev range. Drive ability is also important. This post helped to make the decision to proceed with upgrading the centre catalytic converter hopefully to achieve better exhaust flow etc.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For cross reference purposes, there is a photo on this thread showing how the front Y pipe has been changed differently. Looks like the flex joint has also been changed to a longer length one.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone done the collector mod to a 2006-11 Aurion? Wouldn't mind a bit more lower-down torque and my current tyres can likely handle at least some of it 😅 (235 RE003's). 

1 hour ago, donnot said:

Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone done the collector mod to a 2006-11 Aurion? Wouldn't mind a bit more lower-down torque and my current tyres can likely handle at least some of it 😅 (235 RE003's). 

+1 I'd like to know as well aha

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Suggest that you read the earlier posts in this thread i.e. October 2019

Oops, thanks, didn't see the 2010. Still very tempted to do the mod 😶

Yeah it's a **** looking piece, isn't it? 

You could spend dollars replacing the entire exhaust, and have the squashed section ruin everything. 

I've read some weird stuff on here how that squashed y piece was created by Toyota on purpose to create extra torque haha.