Aurion performance mod.

Aurion fi

7 hours ago, campbeam said:

Quick fix for the drone is to shove some stainless steel scourers into the mufflers. I used a broom handle to push them as far down into the muffler as possible. Think of it as extra sound deadening material.

Definitely worked for me on a Honda Prelude fitted with a cannon muffler. No more unbearable drone [to my ears] and no noticable difference in performance.

Interesting! Won’t the pressure of the exhaust just push it straight out (esp under hard acceleration) since it’s just a straight through GP muffler? People seem to talk about the SS scourers being quite flammable too :/.

4 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

I'm really surprised u didn't like the sound. Yes there's any audible noise, but If it was any quieter, it would be stock. 😳

Maybe the y pipe mod raised the noise level more than acceptable when used in conjuction with straight thru resonators 

Others have commented that it sounds alright - just not quite my taste unfortunately... There isn’t any drone/noticeable change over 2800-3000rpm, but below that it’s quite dron-y at most speeds :(. 

Edited by donnot

These cars actually have a chunky burble, but u will only hear it by dropping the rears complelely but it comes with mind blowing car shaking drone as well unfortunately. 

Your always gona hear some sort of engine humming with a 'sports' exhaust, but I found it milder than anything else I've played around with. I'm sorry you aren't happy with it mate, considering I was encouraging you lol 😞

17 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Your always gona hear some sort of engine humming with a 'sports' exhaust, but I found it milder than anything else I've played around with. I'm sorry you aren't happy with it mate, considering I was encouraging you lol 😞

No no no - don't be sorry - really hard to convey the low tone/in-cabin noise in video, so it was always a risk for me (never really been in a car with anything other than a stock exhaust). The intake has spoilt me for the higher-RPM noise, so I wasn't able to hear the exhaust over it. I'm sure the next person will get some enjoyment out of them!

2 hours ago, donnot said:

Interesting! Won’t the pressure of the exhaust just push it straight out (esp under hard acceleration) since it’s just a straight through GP muffler? People seem to talk about the SS scourers being quite flammable too :/.

I would have used either 2 or 3 stainless steel scourers and teased them out a bit so they interlocked before using the broom handle to push them as far as possible to the back of the muffler. These scourers are essentially all metal so not flammable.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/mackay-mt-pleas/product/coles-stainless-steel-scourers-3pk?adId=display_vCooNDLxrmAkAxDE_QaWK44FKRQ4NTA1NzE0UA%3D%3D

Occassionally but not very often that I would have to push them back into the muffler. Potential benefit is that they can eventually be removed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

I would have used either 2 or 3 stainless steel scourers and teased them out a bit so they interlocked before using the broom handle to push them as far as possible to the back of the muffler. These scourers are essentially all metal so not flammable.

https://shop.coles.com.au/a/mackay-mt-pleas/product/coles-stainless-steel-scourers-3pk?adId=display_vCooNDLxrmAkAxDE_QaWK44FKRQ4NTA1NzE0UA%3D%3D

Occassionally but not very often that I would have to push them back into the muffler. Potential benefit is that they can eventually be removed.

Well, squashed a couple of scourers all the way down the muffler and one has already gone missing after a couple of minutes (one pull) 😄. Unfortunately couldn't notice much of a difference :(. 

3 hours ago, donnot said:

Well, squashed a couple of scourers all the way down the muffler and one has already gone missing after a couple of minutes (one pull) 😄. Unfortunately couldn't notice much of a difference :(. 

A bit unfortunate that $1 experiment did not do the trick for you. If it was going to work, you would have noticed an immediate difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another update 😁. Going to keep the exhaust for now - doesn't really bother me anymore. Switched out the filter on the intake for the larger one that was included in the kit (managed to just squeeze it in) and placed a water repellent sock over it. Went out last night and gave it a couple of launches - complete axle tramp from 1st gear that I've never had since getting the RE003's which was nice, but could be due to the colder conditions/road. Definitely felt more pull on the kickdown from 60-100 vs before the Y-pipe and it sounds glorious with the intake/exhaust (mainly intake noise).

The intakes are back down to $138 for the red and $140 for the blue. Even with the plastic cover on, IAT's are very good and the area that the filter's located in stays quite cool. I bought a couple of these filter socks as I noticed a small amount of water making it to the filter - they took a couple of weeks to arrive with EMS shipping (~$10 for 2x shipped) and they fit perfectly. (Attached a couple more videos, one in the tunnel and a 2nd gear pull @ ~80-90% throttle. Louder in person (especially the tunnel video) 😄 the microphone is clipping a bit. (Don't normally drive to near redline but just for the sake of a couple of demo videos). 

Edited by donnot
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting vids. Wow that intake is loud. I'm keen on doing it one day, but a bit unsure on fitment and plumbing everything up properly. I've also heard there's a vacuum pipe that controls the engine mounts or something like that

Also, try dropping the rear mufflers for a night and go for a cruise haha. At full throttle sounds like an Italian supercar 😂

Edited by Metal_Head

32 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Thanks for posting vids. Wow that intake is loud. I'm keen on doing it one day, but a bit unsure on fitment and plumbing everything up properly. I've also heard there's a vacuum pipe that controls the engine mounts or something like that

Fitment was really easy - took me around an hour including removing the old intake. I followed the guide for the K&N 8611TS here (for the US Camry 2GR V6) - only needed to buy some 4mm vacuum caps for the switching valve and some metal for mounting it to the frame (to give it some more rigidity).

I know there were one or two vacuum hoses I had to reconnect but I didn't really look into the specifics (just followed the guide) 😕 - I wish I could give more info. Can't remember if I posted a photo of it installed a while back, so here's one from straight after install (before properly tightening everything): https://imgur.com/a/EBFAbTS

I don't think I have the balls to drop the rear mufflers 😆 trying not to draw too much more attention.

Edited by donnot
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, donnot said:

I don't think I have the balls to drop the rear mufflers 😆 trying not to draw too much more attention.

I prefer the Sleeper Car approach. 

Let the Holden and Ford show offs have the Police attention and the involuntary contributions to the Govt. coffers. 

Best laugh for me 😁😁 is driving quietly past these "noise makers". They are making noise and my car is making distance. 😂  

Ha yeah, was just saying for a night's cruise, with a pair of axle stands it's a 5min job. At full throttle mine sounded amazing without the rears fitted. The drone at cruise was terrible though

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sebzeneo said:

Does anyone know anything about Performance Chips?

They claim 40-60hp for $300

No direct experience with fitting a performance chip or re-mapping the ECU.

However, I have researched enough to realize that a lot of claimed performance gains are not going to happen. Also it is not so easy to re-map the ECU for the 2GR-FE engine. Apparently some have done this using a piggy back ECU.

What is certain that you are going to be $300 poorer then some more when any power gains are at the expense at pouring more fuel into the intake.

Better to save your money and go buy a faster car.

• Like 1

Performance ECU is useless without quality tuning done on a dyno which is an expensive exercise to gain little unless you go all out with engine mods & rebuilds.

Hardly worth it for the cost unfortunately - I was in the same spot a few months back - looking for more power but there isn’t an easy way. I’ve come to the conclusion after a couple of cruises/driving in general and spending a few 000 on suspension upgrades, tyres, exhaust etc that you aren’t really going to be able to use the extra power 😄 (which is why I’m unfortunately selling mine 😞 ). 

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Where is this place that did this pipe is it in sydney

On 8/24/2018 at 5:32 PM, Aurion fi said:

Standard pipe below..

It basically squishes into half sized pipe. Right up under engine. Has to restrict performance. 

20180824_144852.jpg

20180824_144902.jpg