2007 Aurion tranmission oil change

nushydude

Hi fellas

I have a 2007 Aurion and I've had this since early 2016. Currently has done 130000km. I've serviced the car regularly (102k, 112k, 122k) and did change the front rotors and rear parking break shoes in that last service. I'm planning to do the next service at 135k. 

The resale value of the car is pretty low so I think I will be keeping it for a while. I'm thinking about doing a transmission fluid change at the next service.
I don't know if the transmission fluid was replaced at any time during the last 11 years though. I guess it is safe to assume if hasn't been.

One concern I have is that I've heard people say if the transmission fluid hasn't been changed in a long time, doing a full flush can cause issues than any good. I don't know how long is "long time".

What would you do in my situation? Do a full flush or just a change (i.e. leave some of the old oil)

I don't have the experience, tools or the time to do this. I've looked at some online quotes and they seem to charge around $180-250 for it. Does it sound about right? Need to check if this is for a full flush or change.

Is there anything I need to watch out for when doing a transmission fluid change?

Cheers

Been discussed quite a bit here and on toyotanation, the quasi-unanimous opinion is: don't do the forced flush with the flush machine, however replacing the fluid using the cooler return line (1l out. 1l in) should and does work well if done right. $250 for a flush using the return lines sounds more than reasonable if the whole procedure, including the fluid level check at the right temperature, is followed without any shortcuts. Ask them how they'll do it first, whether it's drain/refill or flush and how they do it.

Also confirm that full synthetic ATF which meets the Toyota WS specification for ATF is going to be used.

It will be more cost to also replace the transmission filter/strainer and have the transmission pan thoroughly cleaned. Interesting how much sludge accumulates on the pan after 11 years. Unfortunately there is one bolt on the transmission pan which is restricted by the sub-frame so it can be difficult and time-consuming to remove.

Any transmossion shop that has experience with the Aurion transmission will know this.

On 9/25/2018 at 9:51 PM, AurionX2 said:

replacing the fluid using the cooler return line (1l out. 1l in) should and does work well if done right.

Which one is the cooler return line?

e7e0b14s-960.jpg

Peter, it's the one to the left in the photo, that goes straight into the radiator in a 90 degrees angle. Remove it and place it into an empty bottle / can, I prefer a measuring jug.

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/hardtopte72/media/cGF0aDpESVkgU2VjdGlvbi9JTUdfMTQ5Ny0yX3pwc2U2ZTVkNTgzLmpwZw==/?ref=

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-camry-5th-6th-gen-2002-2006-2007-2011-2nd-gen-solara-2004-2008/576361-diy-2007-2011-v6-2010-2011-i4-camry-6-speed-auto-transmission-flush-pics.html

Edited by AurionX2

4 hours ago, AurionX2 said:

Peter, it's the one to the left in the photo, that goes straight into the radiator in a 90 degrees angle. Remove it and place it into an empty bottle / can, I prefer a measuring jug.

Excellent, thank you.