New Ebay 22R Carb tuning

Steelo

Have installed carb on the car it will start and run as long as I keep foot on pedal.

Checked automatic choke setting - took cover off and it is lined up correctly.

Get a rough idle without pedal depressed if idle speed screw wound right in.

Mixture screw about 2 turns out.

The fast idle screw doesn't touch the adjusting plate - no vacuum to the chamber that pulls base plate up to adjusting screw. 

The hose from vacuum adjuster goes to an electrical fitting on drivers side firewall - doesn't seem to be working.

20180926_173503.jpg

vacuum1.jpg

Edited by Steelo

Remove the mixture screw and give the orifice and good blow out, sounds like its got sh*t in the float bowl and some of that is blocking the idle jet, If you cant do that remove the mixture screw and start it up, give it a couple of full throttle jabs, be quick, you don't have to rev the ring out of the donk, if there was any rubbish in there it would get drawn through, reinstall mixture screw, Don't screw it all the way in so it bottoms out you will damage the seat,from memory that hose linking the electrical fitting allows the throttle plate to fully close upon shutdown, been years now since I worked on a carby.

Edited by CONROD

Thanks for advice. Was laughing a while ago with my brother haven't touched a carby for years, used a timing light or adjusted points and now I own this mongrel!

OK! Have got carby so engine runs without foot on pedal all the time.

Still running rough at idle.

The screws in photo (not my carb) are

#1 Idle mixture

#2 Idle speed

#3 Fast Idle Screw

#4 A/C Throttle up screw - this never contacts anything to make an adjustment

Can someone explain the sequence of adjustments needed to all these to get the carby running sweetly?

adjusters.jpg

3 hours ago, Steelo said:

OK! Have got carby so engine runs without foot on pedal all the time.

Still running rough at idle.

The screws in photo (not my carb) are

#1 Idle mixture

#2 Idle speed

#3 Fast Idle Screw

#4 A/C Throttle up screw - this never contacts anything

1-Warm it up so the choke plate is Fully open, physically check its fully open by slight pressure, touch the plate to see if it is,

2-Using screw #2 adjust the idle speed if needed to bring it to specs, then

3=Check the Timing First up, then

4-Using #1 adjust the mixture by winding the screw out a few turns THEN, wind the screw in nice and slow so you can hear the engine change pace, what you are aiming for is to have the engine ticking over at a nice smooth consistent rpm, (don't be alarmed if you think you have the mixture screw almost all the way in ) The moment you feel and hear the idle speed drop off, STOP, winding it in, and back it off a 1/8-1/4 of a turn,

5=Re adjust the idle speed #2 again if its ticking over too fast to bring it back to specs, then adjust mixture again only if needed

#3 has to be adjusted with the engine cold as that sets the cold idle speed in conjunction with the choke plate if linkage is worn, binding, freeit up so it moves freely

#4 If no A/C leave as is

That Green electrical fitting and the one next to it is actually a VSV ( vacuum switching valve ) it operates at a predetermined value to complete a vacuum circuit

Edited by CONROD