Tyre Wear Landcruiser 200 Series

Andrew V

Hi Guys,

I have a 2017 200 Series Sahara. At the 10,000klm service they told me the front left hand tyre had excessive wear on the outer edge and it needed to be replaced.  They blamed me for not monitoring the tyre pressure and also said it could be due to us driving around a lot of roundabouts.

We've just completed the 20,000klm service and the new tyre has done exactly the same thing, although I monitored the pressure every month between the two services (38psi). They've performed another wheel alignment and tell me that everything was per factory specs, so its either that we go around a lot of roundabouts or the factory tyres are soft and we should look at buying harder compound tyres.

I am really struggling to accept either of these two conclusions since the same left hand front wheel is wearing whilst all others are OK.

Has anyone else experience something similar with their 200? And were you able to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Andrew 

Andrew,

So the obvious things,-

• ·         Get an independent wheel alignment check - IE: not from the Toyota dealer but a proper tyre / alignment shop

• ·         Check brakes aren't dragging = raise the wheel & check for abnormal resistance

• ·         Be gentle on U turns & roundabouts IE: don’t grind off the edge of the tyre accelerating hard into or out of a roundabout or U turn.

The second point here can/ will be done at the same time as the alignment check.

Pressures you are obviously onto so you know what to do.

All 4WD's will scrub the offside tyre if pushed in corners or on dramatically cambered surfaces because they are tall, heavy etc. you know this?

FWIW- beware of Toyota dealers up selling the service…..    on my cruiser when under new car service the dealers kept telling me there was something wrong because my brake pads weren't wearing properly  (fast enough) & one dealer also wanted to do an entire power steering flush & rebuild but could give me no reason for wanting to do this. This was to be an additional $300 on my fixed price service… the same dealer also offered me "special oil" at an additional cost of only…. You guessed it $300.

I did flush the steering system independently out of pure paranoia & still have the same brake pads….. as you might guess I went to a different dealer after that.

Try asking them to confirm what engine oil they use…. That will be fun for you.

In my experience the best dealers seem to be the family owned, multi brand, franchise with apprentice training onsite. These proved to be the only ones who actually took care to make sure the vehicle was serviced as it was meant to be.  For sure there are good & bad so you get good & bad at any dealer but shop around & tread carefully.

Rgds

G.

• 2 years later...