07 Camry - random aircon

edgrad

I have an AC problem where the AC, which blows very chill when it runs, like to turn itself off randomly.
The AC light is still lit up as though it's on but it stops blowing chilled air. If I press the AC button off then on again, it starts blowing chill air again.
I took it to get the gas checked and they said only very little was missing and they only put in 25 grams worth. I had them run a diagnostic but it only came up with B1424/21 which I later realised was of no use as the diagnostic was performed inside a garage where the sensor can't see sunlight. 

I'm running out of ideas. 

On 11/24/2018 at 1:03 PM, edgrad said:

I have an AC problem where the AC, which blows very chill when it runs, like to turn itself off randomly.
The AC light is still lit up as though it's on but it stops blowing chilled air. If I press the AC button off then on again, it starts blowing chill air again.
I'm running out of ideas. 

ive experienced the same thing a week ago on a warm humid day. when i ran a/con max fan speed, it started to do the same and then blink.. then stopped blowing cold air... a few minutes after i  decided to use the 3/4 fan speed... it was consistent.. but then the temperatures started to rise. so i stopped using a/c

ive been advised to rebleed the radiator with heater on as there may be air bubbles

• 4 years later...

I am having this identical issue. Do any of you legends have further information on solving this issue? About to start troubleshooting and disassembling my 2010 Aurion's aircon system. Cheers in advance.

9 hours ago, Rowie said:

I am having this identical issue. Do any of you legends have further information on solving this issue? About to start troubleshooting and disassembling my 2010 Aurion's aircon system. Cheers in advance.

Before you deep dive into it, do a bit more research. It could be possible that your climate control module is playing up. It is a known issue on the 40 series.

Give us more info on your exact symptoms.

If it does blow cold when you turn it on, how long before it stops blowing cold or does it not blow cold at all ?

12 hours ago, Rowie said:

"Identical issue" is a bit imprecise, particularly for myself. Can you describe in detail the issue that you are encountering.

Does the issue still continue after you have changed the temperature settings from coldest to warm to hot?

When was the last time that the cabin air filter was cleaned or replaced?

Are all of the controls for the air-conditioning control module working?

Thanks for the prompt replies fellas. I'll describe my issue below.

All services are carried out by myself. Cabin filter changed in the last 12 months. Checked and it is clean. 

Compressor observed running, no noise or issue seen. 

Here are the symptoms (about a month):

Air con turns off at random intervals at low fan speed. All vents are off.  It was mostly restarts at high fan speed but not anymore.

Now air con stops working. Just blow air with no cooling. Usually at low speeds around the suburbs or parked with engine running.  

When air con it working it is very cold as expected. 

I have found two ways to get the air con to 'reset' every time.

1.  Cycle the aircon switch 'off' and then 'on, and

2. Turn the engine off then restart. 

Further information; Whilst waiting for a pickup (in a quiet layby) at Brissie airport a month ago the aircon stop working after sitting at idle for about 20 minutes, I also observed the aircon light flashing. I fiddles with the fan control to no avail. Shut the engine off, restarted, and aircon back to normal (working, no flashing lights).

My conclusions and thoughts;

As the aircon works perfectly when operational, I feel the system is gassed correctly.

So I am going to acquire a new magnetic clutch relay p/n 9098702028 or bosch 0332011007.

I may have a compressor going out potentially but would expect some noise. It could be the flow sensor on the compressor. Or is is the 12 year old control module.

Any assist would be gratefully received and I will definitely update this thread with the solution. 

Cheers  

3 hours ago, Rowie said:

My conclusions and thoughts;

As the aircon works perfectly when operational, I feel the system is gassed correctly.

So I am going to acquire a new magnetic clutch relay p/n 9098702028 or bosch 0332011007.

I may have a compressor going out potentially but would expect some noise. It could be the flow sensor on the compressor. Or is is the 12 year old control module.

I guess the cheapest test would be to replace the relay and see. If it doesn't cure it then it's no big loss. You'll just have a spare relay.

I wonder if you do an ECU scan, it may have a fault code stored in there which could lead you in the right direction. Do you have a decent scan tool ?

At this point though, it's like a crap shoot, but I am suspicious about the control module. They aren't expensive and it's always good to keep a spare even if it doesn't solve the problem.

Compressor diagnosis can be tricky, but in essence, it's just a mechanical pump driven by a pulley and commanded by the vehicle electrics, ie the control module. If the system hasn't been tampered with before, like a gas leak and re gas, then I suspect you have no contamination internally to speak of.

If a system has been overcharged, it can trip the high pressure switch and lock the compressor out momentarily until the pressure drops. It will keep this cycle up until the charge can be corrected. 
It doesn't explain why the system starts working again after you restart the engine or cycle the A/C switch. If it's tripping H.P. then it will cycle off and on via the H.P. switch. No other intervention is necessary, which brings me back to the controller. I am leaning to it being the culprit. Electronics are fickle especially as they age and as I mentioned previously, the 40 series control module is known for playing up. I'd go to that following a no luck with the relay.

Cheers :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks Tony,

I just replaced the relay (Toyota p/n 9098702028) with a Narva 68062BL (inbuilt resistor).

So far it seems to aircon normal operation...but I'll give it a few days until I proclaim this the fix.

If it fails again, I'll get another control module as you suggest. 

Hopefully the compressor is ok but I tend to agree with you that as the system is completely unmolested from new, it should be ok, ditto the gas level etc. 

Thanks so much for sharing your experience and knowledge. It is much appreciated.

Again, I will post here showing what fixed the issue.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm still having the same issue and it seems to be getting more frequent. I will chase up a controller and see if that solves the issue. Cheers

Oh, and I don't have a decent scan tool. Any recommendations? I will be keeping this vehicle for quite a few years and should have one. Cheers again

5 minutes ago, Rowie said:

Oh, and I don't have a decent scan tool. Any recommendations? I will be keeping this vehicle for quite a few years and should have one. Cheers again

Sorry to hear about that. I really can't think of anything else now other than a dickie controller. You can get them relatively cheap on Ebay for a Used one. I shudder to think what it would be worth for a brand new one from Toyota.

As for scan tools, you'd best research what best fits your budget. There are plenty to choose from. I'd probably go mid range of the market. 

• Thanks 1