Corolla Sportivo & The Ported Intake Manifold

Hey TOCA,

This has previously been discussed a long time ago about porting the intake manifold on the 2ZZ (specifically the Sportivo manifold as it can be split into 2 pieces). Well, I’m writing this as a review of a ported intake manifold after recently purchasing and installing one.

Many people may think that porting the manifold is a waste of time and that you might as well go down the route of turbo or supercharging, or to go for an aftermarket manifold such as the DDP manifold. This is not to cause controversy by any means but is to simply get the information out there for more people to develop their N/A 2ZZ’s to the very best.

This what is done to the manifold in regards to porting. The runners are left as is, this is specifically within the plenum and prior to the runners that are cleaned up and ported. I know this might deter people into thinking ‘it’s not a fully ported manifold’, but please keep reading through. The manifold runners are removed and the plenum section is cut open to begin the work.

Within the plenum section of stock 2 piece manifold, you will see 2 pillars that are within the manifold that affect air flow to each runner. These are cut out and the remaining metal ground down to reduce any flow interruption into the runners.

3aa0xiF.jpg

T4ckqgK.jpg

GZ1ZdND.jpg

On top of the plenum, you will see velocity stacks at the of the runners. From Toyota, the casting is poorly completed, Leaving what resembles slanted donuts throughout various manifolds. These are ground down and evened out to increase flow.

DjwGiKz.jpg

Comparisons between a stock intake manifold and a port manifold.

44nXeCc.jpg

uPlVnks.jpg

slb1JIG.jpg

The combination of the improved velocity stacks and the removal of the pillars is what is completed in terms of the porting on my particular manifold.

Now, having this done I can provide what to expect with this style of ported manifold. Once installed, I started the car and checked for any strange noises, leaks etc. With no issues, I let the car warm up and took it for a spin.

The first impression was that down low is almost the same as before, I did notice that the response had increased nicely and the revs climb a lot smoother and quicker than before. I decided to do a quick pull from 1st and another rolling in 2nd to get an idea of the gains.

Both pulls went to the start of 3rd so within the speed limit. In first gear you notice there is no dip whatsoever in power, it’s smooth all the way until fuel cut and the revs climb a lot faster than before. Even in between gear changes, there doesn’t seem to be the slow rev climb back to fuel cut now. It continues to remain smooth.

Another major change noticed was how loud the intake noise became. The crossover into lift is quite loud and very pronounced and at roughly 7000 and beyond it has a nice growl resonating through the intake, currently a 2.75” intake.

For comparison's sake to make a little more sense, the sensational increase of power between a short ram intake or stock air box compared to a cold air intake. It’s that gain, on top if that makes sense. As it is a noticeable by the pants gain, it would definitely be evident on a dyno.

Overall, I’m super happy with the ported manifold. For those that don’t want to read the whole thing and want a TLDR; installed ported manifold, increased response, increased torque and power, smoother power band, fast rev climb, loud intake sound. You may as well read the the whole review though to get a better understanding of what to expect if you’re really considering going towards porting.

My mods are linked in my signature for those wondering what I have done to my car. If anyone is serious and genuinely interested in getting a ported manifold done, please send me a message and I can provide further details into getting this done.

Thanks for reading! Sorry for the bold font (can't change it for some reason 🤔)

Edited by jeffy
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

On 7/20/2020 at 8:28 AM, Harleygirl said:

Did you cut the manifold in half with a grinding disc and what glue did you use to glue it back toga there and did it seal 

regards Steve 

YOUR GASSES MUST HAVE A SMUDGE STEVE..  OPENING LINE..  intake manifold on the 2ZZ (specifically the Sportivo manifold as it can be split into 2 pieces).  EXCUSE CAPS. ITS JUST A VISION THING.. .. IVE JUST FINISHED A TCR10 FOR NSW BLUE SLIP AND PORTING MAY BE MY FIRST PERFORMANCE OPTION WITH THIS NEW INFO.  MITSUBISHI MAGNA 215/65/15 WHEELS AND TYRES SLIPPED STRAIGHT ON TO SAVE WHAT WOULD OF BEEN A TYRE STRIP N FIT MARATHON..                                               CHEERS GUYS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               REGARDS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   SEAN

On 7/20/2020 at 8:28 AM, Harleygirl said:

Did you cut the manifold in half with a grinding disc and what glue did you use to glue it back toga there and did it seal 

regards Steve 

Hi Steve, my mate did this one for me and he did use a grinding disk to cut it open, there are a few different ways it can be done. As for the sealant, he used a black silicone that's used sealing things like oil pans since it's fuel and oil resistant. I have run this same setup for some time now and have not had any leak issues.

• 1 year later...