Jump to content

Loosing oil


JjCowley
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all, new to this site, but hoping someone may be able to help.

Bought a 2006 aurion, drives great, doesnt loose water, still has the power you would expect.

When i test drove, there was nothing out of the ordinary, when driving it home however.....when taking off there was masses of smoke comeing out tailpipe.

Pulled over and when you put foot on gas, heaps of smoke comes out, got it home, used heaps of oil. Ended up changing oil(did flush also) and put in new filter.

Seemed ok, took to work, but when the car gets to operating temp it starts blowing heaps of white/grey smoke, and i mean heaps, probably burnt through 3 litres of oil on a 60km trip.

People have said valve stem seals -but seams like too much oil loss for that.

Other thought cracked head or head casket -but not losing water or running or ideling rough.

Someone did a compression test on front 3 cylinders, it read very low, but wondering if that would be a correct reading as if there was low compression in 3 or more cylinders,would it not be lagging power, its definitely has got plenty of power.

Is there something that could be causing oil to be vacuumed straight into exhaust when the car gets up to temp?

Any advise or thoughts would be great,

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JjCowley said:

Is there something that could be causing oil to be vacuumed straight into exhaust when the car gets up to temp?

Check and clean the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.

Something else you can do is to disconnect the hose from the PCV valve and block the end of the hose with a bolt or similar solid object. This eliminates the possibility of oil being vacuumed up from the valve cover into the intake.

If after doing this hose disconnect, the engine is still smoking badly, then looks like you will need to have a leak down test to identify what engine repairs are most likely required.

If there is no more white smoke when driving/accelerating hard, then have a good read of the attached document and do a Search of "white smoke" on this Forum.

White smoke on start up.doc 

Did you buy your Aurion from a Dealer with warranty? If so, take it back and get them to desludge the front valve cover and replace the PCV valve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JjCowley said:

it starts blowing heaps of white/grey smoke, and i mean heaps, probably burnt through 3 litres of oil on a 60km trip.

From past experience, I know that the difference between the full mark on the dipstick and just about nothing on the dipstick is 1.5 litres. Engine oil capacity is 6.1 litres. Loose enough oil and the oil warning light will come on; also past experience with the rear V V T i oil line.

11 hours ago, matt36415 said:

Just wondering how many km it has done

I would be interested in knowing exactly what oil you used. A lower viscosity oil will be more easily drawn past worn piston rings and/or drawn into the intake manifold if the oil channels in the valve cover are sludged up and the PCV valve is not working properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/17/2018 at 3:12 PM, JjCowley said:

Hi all, new to this site, but hoping someone may be able to help.

Bought a 2006 aurion, drives great, doesnt loose water, still has the power you would expect.

When i test drove, there was nothing out of the ordinary, when driving it home however.....when taking off there was masses of smoke comeing out tailpipe.

Pulled over and when you put foot on gas, heaps of smoke comes out, got it home, used heaps of oil. Ended up changing oil(did flush also) and put in new filter.

Seemed ok, took to work, but when the car gets to operating temp it starts blowing heaps of white/grey smoke, and i mean heaps, probably burnt through 3 litres of oil on a 60km trip.

People have said valve stem seals -but seams like too much oil loss for that.

Other thought cracked head or head casket -but not losing water or running or ideling rough.

Someone did a compression test on front 3 cylinders, it read very low, but wondering if that would be a correct reading as if there was low compression in 3 or more cylinders,would it not be lagging power, its definitely has got plenty of power.

Is there something that could be causing oil to be vacuumed straight into exhaust when the car gets up to temp?

Any advise or thoughts would be great,

Thanks.

Did you check the service history on this vehicle and verify it? These motors NEED to be serviced regularly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Join The Club

    Join the Toyota Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

  • Latest Postings

    1. 2

      Installing OEM steering wheel controls

    2. 34

      White Pearl Paint cracking & peeling on a Prado

    3. 34

      White Pearl Paint cracking & peeling on a Prado

    4. 34

      White Pearl Paint cracking & peeling on a Prado

    5. 1

      2012. 200 series landcruiser going into limp mode

    6. 0

      1997 SR5 Australian import in Scotland

    7. 4

      LED Light Bar w/ Wiring Harness - Help

    8. 11

      Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar snapped in half

    9. 0

      2020 Rav 4 edge front end strange noise

    10. 2

      Whats this

Toyota Owners Club AU © 2020 | This Website has no association with Toyota (AU) or Toyota Motor Corporation. | Cookies | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership