thisguy

How do you handle tailgaters?

It's not always possible to increase speed or change lanes.

Essentially, I ignore them. I do take a deep breath and stay cool, calm and collected. I drive safe and smart i.e. defensively with about twice the braking distance so it is a relaxing non.stressful drive. Most definitely, I am NOT going to brake-check them. Eventually, the tailgater is going to overtake you and more than likely in less than desirable circumstances.

Before my time, the girlfriend was driving and being tailgated. I understand that the roads were wet and she was driving below the speed limit for the conditions. The tailgater overtook her vehicle in a blaze of speed and disappeared into the curves ahead. Probably 5-10 minutes later, she came across their vehicle off the road and in a ditch with the occupants standing beside it . As she went passed them, she would the window down and said to them "Happy Motoring".

• Like 1

I totally agree with you Ashley, I also try and ignore the idiots behind me and allow for the fact that they will try and rush past me and possibly have to dive in front of myself and the car in front of me..Brake testing them could end in tears for you.

So remain cool calm and ready for anything..

KAA