LC200 1VD-FTV Lock Belt Tension Pulley

denzo

How do I lock the Drive Belt Tension Pulley so I can change the Belt?

The dowel hole in the bracket, adjacent to the pulley, has a 6mm mm hole that does not pass completely through the bracket. A smaller hole, approximately 3mm, goes right through.

My 2007-2016 HAYNES Repair Manual says that the 6mm hole goes right through the bracket.

Is there a Special Dowel required for the job?  

Following is an extract from one of my ready reference Aurion documents created from various contributors:

Then you locate the automatic belt tensioner. Keeping a 5mm Allen key handy (or any other rod of solid metal that is 5mm), you place a 14mm spanner on the belt tensioner and apply pressure in the anti-clockwise direction. This is spring loaded and you will need a bit of pressure on the spanner. Once you have turned it, you will see that the hole at the bottom will line up with a gap in the engine block. You insert the Allen key here to lock it in place:

Yes, the Allen key does lock the belt tensioner in place, so it is easy to remove the serpentine belt. Use the same procedure in reverse to remove the Allen key.

Thanks Ashley,

I did mention that the through hole is approximately 3mm.The start of the hole is 6mm dia. and then it reduces to 3mm hole.

The HAYNES Repair manual says that you rotate the 14mm ring spanner in clockwise direction on the diesel engine and use a 6mm dia. dowel or steel drill bit.

You can see that I am still in the dark.

13 minutes ago, denzo said:

The start of the hole is 6mm dia. and then it reduces to 3mm hole.

Guess You will have to try whatever is going to fit and be strong enough to take the tension. Steel drill bit sounds like a good option.

• 3 months later...

Just for the record, I never did find the position where the 6 mm pin would slide in to lock the tensioner into the rest position.

I looked very carefully with a mirror to no avail and managed to do the job without utilising this pin lock feature.

I did the same task on a Prado 120 Series V6 petrol 4.0 and there was a very easily identifiable pin hole which worked and made the task of installing a belt 10 times easier than on a 200 Series.