1gr-fe problems ;(

Jimmyjd

Hello everyone. 

Im hoping someone can help me. 

I bought an 06 hilux from a dealership, second hand. Most expensive thing I’ve ever owned. I’m a self employed slate roofer and I need a good reliable Ute as I’m busy. Thought to myself, I’ll spend a bit and save myself the headache of **** cars. 

On the way home it threw a conrod. The dealer got another engine installed and I had it back a week later.

Most of the parts from my old engine are on this new block. Cam assembly etc etc.

The problems started with a flat spot on accelerating. A week later it’s running like a bag of crap. When trying to cruise under light throttle it lurches and judders, drinks more fuel and has half its power. 

I plugged it in to find p0016 and p0335 stored. 

Took it to the dealer who hates me cus the car lost him money, tells me the car is fine. I got him to run diagnostics on it, when he saw the stored codes he puts me onto his mechanic toyrolla in Epping saying that it’s their problem. 

Changed the cam sensors for different ones supplied by toyrolla. I had to fit them, Worked for a while but is back to running like crap. 

The mechanic that fitted the engine said he thought the reluctor wheel of bank1 might have been faulty, but stuck it in anyway - *****. The original sensor off the  knackered engine had a score in the top where it had somehow hit the reluctor wheel. The new sensors are fine after driving for a couple days, no scoring, I took the valve cover off and had a look at the reluctor, sent the mechanic/parts guy the photos so I could get another one he said he thinks that’s the problem. 

The mechanic has to repair the car which is under dealership warranty as he ****** it up. But he’s very reluctant, I’ve had to do the work myself in order to speed it up and actually make some progress. 

Im worried the timing is out. 

What do you all think. 

Any help would be most appreciated. 

Looks like you could be on the right track with the reluctor wheel/signal plate.

https://www.engine-codes.com/p0335_toyota.html

Following URL about the engine should be of interest.

http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=128

What is the vehicle milage and the service history? Have the spark plugs and ignition coils been changed> Check whether the transmission oil has been changed. Has the fuel filter ever been changed?

I’m not sure if the reluctor has to be sort of put in the right place like the timing, it doesnt look atall damaged. The cam chain has a tiny bit of play in it not sure if a stretched chain would cause the fault code. The original engine had done 230000kms, I’m not sure what the kms on the new one are. But I can imagine they arenr much lower than that. Wouldn’t the bad coils etc throw codes?

Thanks for your help by the way 

Bad ignition coils will throw a code. Worn out spark plugs put more strain on the ignition coils to perform so can potentially shorten their lifespan. 

At 230,000kms, it is handy to know the service history and what parts have been replaced [or not] . 

Suggest checking the condition of the spark plugs and if necessay, consider replacing them with Iridium plugs.

I bought my 2006 Aurion [which has the 2GR-FE 3.5litre V6] at 165,000kms with a "suspect"service history. As I found out later, engine had lots of sludge due to either poor maintenance or oils used. Recently, at 205,000kms, I have replaced the spark plugs [Denso long life iridiums] and ignition coils[supposedly 15% better performance than OEM]. I have also bought the pre cat air/fuel sensors, fuel filter and fuel pump strainer "sock" but have yet to fit them. Next item on the to do list is changing the auto transmission fluid. I am "chasing"improved fuel economy and acceleration.

I am also very much into preventative maintenance and have a tendency to over-service my vehicles.

Hey James,

Not wanting to panic you here but it would be well worth your time to read up on warranty claims in Vic = here

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cars/buying-a-used-car/warranties

dealers are notorious for trying to escape at the cheapest way out - not surprising.  You don’t want to end up with a lemon after all the grief so keep your finger on the button…

have a good read of the "resolve your problem" link at the bottom of that page so you know how to go about sorting out issues etc.  If at all possible get the problem on file through Consumer Vic so then you have them by your side if you need them. Most dealers will do the right thing as long as they know you mean business when they don’t play ball nicely.

Be careful just how much you do with the car - IE: its their issue & legally they cannot sell you a car when they know it had faults & it must be rectified.

Get another independent opinion / diagnosis from someone you trust to make sure the work is being done properly.

Don’t be afraid to go through Consumers if you need them - that’s what they are for & normally they will be a good circuit breaker if you are getting nowhere with the parties involved.

Patience….

Good luck mate!

:cheers:

G.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 7:25 AM, campbeam said:

Bad ignition coils will throw a code. Worn out spark plugs put more strain on the ignition coils to perform so can potentially shorten their lifespan. 

At 230,000kms, it is handy to know the service history and what parts have been replaced [or not] . 

Suggest checking the condition of the spark plugs and if necessay, consider replacing them with Iridium plugs.

I bought my 2006 Aurion [which has the 2GR-FE 3.5litre V6] at 165,000kms with a "suspect"service history. As I found out later, engine had lots of sludge due to either poor maintenance or oils used. Recently, at 205,000kms, I have replaced the spark plugs [Denso long life iridiums] and ignition coils[supposedly 15% better performance than OEM]. I have also bought the pre cat air/fuel sensors, fuel filter and fuel pump strainer "sock" but have yet to fit them. Next item on the to do list is changing the auto transmission fluid. I am "chasing"improved fuel economy and acceleration.

I am also very much into preventative maintenance and have a tendency to over-service my vehicles.

Hey thanks for your time, sorry for the late reply, I’ll chuck some new plugs in, with oil etc. would that give me the codes that I’m getting? I’ve replaced the crank sensor with a brand new one, still got the p0335 p0016 codes. Is it possible my timing chain is stretched? Can’t seem to source a new camshaft controller. The symptoms are still there, runs well when cold, after a couple minutes it loses throttle response and lacks power, could it be the VVTi failing? Also now have a misfire code and the car drinks fuel more than usual. 

On 1/18/2019 at 8:30 AM, GC_AUS said:

Hey James,

Not wanting to panic you here but it would be well worth your time to read up on warranty claims in Vic = here

https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cars/buying-a-used-car/warranties

dealers are notorious for trying to escape at the cheapest way out - not surprising.  You don’t want to end up with a lemon after all the grief so keep your finger on the button…

have a good read of the "resolve your problem" link at the bottom of that page so you know how to go about sorting out issues etc.  If at all possible get the problem on file through Consumer Vic so then you have them by your side if you need them. Most dealers will do the right thing as long as they know you mean business when they don’t play ball nicely.

Be careful just how much you do with the car - IE: its their issue & legally they cannot sell you a car when they know it had faults & it must be rectified.

Get another independent opinion / diagnosis from someone you trust to make sure the work is being done properly.

Don’t be afraid to go through Consumers if you need them - that’s what they are for & normally they will be a good circuit breaker if you are getting nowhere with the parties involved.

Patience….

Good luck mate!

:cheers:

G.

Hey mate

thanks for the advice, the dealership hasn’t responded for a week and neither has the mechanic, so I’m going to just have to pay to fix it, but it’s possible it needs a new timing chain 😞 $$$ 

the car was advertised as good working order. It hasn’t functioned properly whatsoever so surely I have a leg to stand on there? 

Regards

james 

James,

You might be onto it with the timing - I'm not familiar with the reluctor ring but could it be out by a small amount or have play in it which might give random codes? - in a VVTi engine this could be why the symptom is not always there?

Specially seeing as the mechanic also mentioned he thought there may be an issue with….etc

Certainly not my area of specialty but if were me on another engine I would replace the whole timing gear set up to eliminate any stretch or play in the system - not sure what this would cost on that motor?? It would also confirm this to be in good order & working as it should IE: eliminate that area of concern.

Parts diag if you haven't got it = https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/hilux-4runner-truck-42451/ggn25-55718/ggn25r-praskn-916242/camshaft-valve-17807971

& yes I would most definitely go to consumers Vic & start the process - the dealer must show good will to solve the problem & if not then consumers will get involved. Gather all your data IE: receipts & original advertising etc to show it was sold as a fair deal etc & ordinarily consumers will appoint a mediator or negotiator to talk with both parties & solve the problem.  Like any beef you need to keep working to fix the complaint & so do they but if one party reaches a point of no return then it ends up messy & must be adjudicated by court etc - nobody wants that because the only ones who get rich are solicitors or lawyers.

If I re-read your post then it appears this really needs to be sorted out between the dealer & the mech in Epping to decide who does the work - the dealer should foot the bill on the basis that they sold the car "in good faith" with a warranty

IE: either it was or wasn’t represented correctly but that’s between them to prove & you should be given a car as you thought you were buying in the first place & not a lemon…. Definitely worth the call to consumers.

regards

Gary.

1 hour ago, GC_AUS said:

James,

You might be onto it with the timing - I'm not familiar with the reluctor ring but could it be out by a small amount or have play in it which might give random codes? - in a VVTi engine this could be why the symptom is not always there?

Specially seeing as the mechanic also mentioned he thought there may be an issue with….etc

Certainly not my area of specialty but if were me on another engine I would replace the whole timing gear set up to eliminate any stretch or play in the system - not sure what this would cost on that motor?? It would also confirm this to be in good order & working as it should IE: eliminate that area of concern.

Parts diag if you haven't got it = https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/hilux-4runner-truck-42451/ggn25-55718/ggn25r-praskn-916242/camshaft-valve-17807971

& yes I would most definitely go to consumers Vic & start the process - the dealer must show good will to solve the problem & if not then consumers will get involved. Gather all your data IE: receipts & original advertising etc to show it was sold as a fair deal etc & ordinarily consumers will appoint a mediator or negotiator to talk with both parties & solve the problem.  Like any beef you need to keep working to fix the complaint & so do they but if one party reaches a point of no return then it ends up messy & must be adjudicated by court etc - nobody wants that because the only ones who get rich are solicitors or lawyers.

If I re-read your post then it appears this really needs to be sorted out between the dealer & the mech in Epping to decide who does the work - the dealer should foot the bill on the basis that they sold the car "in good faith" with a warranty

IE: either it was or wasn’t represented correctly but that’s between them to prove & you should be given a car as you thought you were buying in the first place & not a lemon…. Definitely worth the call to consumers.

regards

Gary.

Hi Gary, thanks for your time 

I kicked off at the dealer, they luckily paid for an engine with a warranty, so it being sorted this week, no cost to me 🙂 

Thanks again to everyone for your help and support

regards

james