Fixed P/S trouble code C1554 Power Steering fault

philpreston3072

Sharing with others how I fixed Trouble Code C1554 which is a Power Steering fault.

I was able to rectify the problem by clearing the fault code using my laptop and Mini-VCI J2534 OBDII connector (bought from ebay) to my 2007 Toyota Tarago/Previa/Estima (ACR50).  You'll also need to install Toyota's Techstream software as per Mini-VCI instructions.  The fault code was reporting overheating of the power steering unit.  I guess it was a hot day and my brother in law was over enthusiastic with turning the steering wheel whilst in the parking lot when the P/S light came on and the power steering disabled.  It's so hard to turn the steering wheel when power steering is disabled.

The trouble code indicates there's a power relay failure for the power steering, but once I cleared the trouble code, and restarted the car, the P/S light (usually lights up on start up briefly) turned off after a couple of seconds and the steering wheel was back to normal again.  Saved me good time and money going to the mechanic to do the same thing.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Howdoo Philip

My power steering has gone on my ACR 50 Estima

I bought the cable that you mentioned in your post

However I am struggling to download the software link that the cable seller provided, it also seems pretty involved when i look at the link.

Do you have an easy way of downloading the relevant software easily ?

Cheers

CM

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

On 8/19/2020 at 3:47 PM, WhiteEstima said:

Unlucky me join the group. 2006 estima gsr50 lost power steering. Wrecker asked $200 for a used ecu. Ordered the cable online. Will update you how's going.

Did you fix the car?

On 1/29/2019 at 1:40 PM, philpreston3072 said:

Sharing with others how I fixed Trouble Code C1554 which is a Power Steering fault.

I was able to rectify the problem by clearing the fault code using my laptop and Mini-VCI J2534 OBDII connector (bought from ebay) to my 2007 Toyota Tarago/Previa/Estima (ACR50).  You'll also need to install Toyota's Techstream software as per Mini-VCI instructions.  The fault code was reporting overheating of the power steering unit.  I guess it was a hot day and my brother in law was over enthusiastic with turning the steering wheel whilst in the parking lot when the P/S light came on and the power steering disabled.  It's so hard to turn the steering wheel when power steering is disabled.

The trouble code indicates there's a power relay failure for the power steering, but once I cleared the trouble code, and restarted the car, the P/S light (usually lights up on start up briefly) turned off after a couple of seconds and the steering wheel was back to normal again.  Saved me good time and money going to the mechanic to do the same thing.

Was it a permanent fix? Did the problem come back? Do you still have the mini vci?

On 7/5/2020 at 5:02 PM, Felix202020 said:

Howdoo Philip

My power steering has gone on my ACR 50 Estima

I bought the cable that you mentioned in your post

However I am struggling to download the software link that the cable seller provided, it also seems pretty involved when i look at the link.

Do you have an easy way of downloading the relevant software easily ?

Cheers

CM

Did you get to fix the car? I need help.

Just fixed my problem. The power steering ECU is under the dash just above the accelerator pedal. Remove the black cover by undoing one Philip head screw. Looking from the floor up, you can see the ECU. Tap on it with a metal rod. I did it with both engine off and on. Finally when I restarted the engine, the power steering becomes good again. No more PS warning light. I shall test the car within my neighbourhood over the next few days. If problem returns, I will replace the ECU.

Screenshot_20210222-132811_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1

Here is hoping that the ECU does not need to be replaced.

More of a preventative maintenance item but consider replacing the power steering fluid in the reservoir.

Assuming that it is readily accessible, I use a hand pump to empty the reservoir then refill with fresh fluid.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:27 AM, Phewy said:

Did the problem return? Did you get the fault code with mini vci? I used a normal obd2 scanner but it showed no code.

Good that you resolved the problem with some tapping of the ECU. 
I haven't had the fault return, and the last time it happened was after I had been idling the car for over 10 or 15mins with the Air Conditioning running so I suspect it has something to do with that.  

Some generic OBD2 scanners might not show the power steering fault code from Toyota so that's why you're better off using the mini VCI with Toyota's software. A little problem though is that the Toyota software I used only runs on Windows XP, not later windows.

Edited by philpreston3072

• 11 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 4:09 PM, Phewy said:

Just fixed my problem. The power steering ECU is under the dash just above the accelerator pedal. Remove the black cover by undoing one Philip head screw. Looking from the floor up, you can see the ECU. Tap on it with a metal rod. I did it with both engine off and on. Finally when I restarted the engine, the power steering becomes good again. No more PS warning light. I shall test the car within my neighbourhood over the next few days. If problem returns, I will replace the ECU.

Screenshot_20210222-132811_Gallery.jpg

Did the problem came back?