98-02 V20 Gen4 CAMRY Dashboard Fit / Rattles

ZZT86

Howdy,

Curious to know if anyone else has experienced or seen this odd phenomena - the dashboard fit on my 2001 Camry is unevenly positioned & is a very tight fit on the drivers side. The drivers door pushes up snug against it & as the car flexes makes all manner of noises as they're both touching. The passenger side appears fine. Usually there's an even gap between door & dash - correct ?

Exterior door alignment isn't perfect on the driver's side either, perhaps as a result of the dashboard but it's only drooped slightly lower on the striker side when closed. Gaps F-R appear fine.

It's almost as if the dashboard has bulged sideways preventing proper door closure, it won't close fully unless I give it enough force, other three doors are good.

What could be the cause?

Tried searching for this & no info anywhere.

Many thanks 👍

IMG_20190408_153844_LR.jpg

IMG_20190408_153850_LR.jpg

Edited by ZZT86

• 2 months later...

Hopedfully, you have a manual with the steps for the dash removal. Following URLs will give you an idea of the work invilved. 

http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/dashboard-rattling-fix.5579/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifpUdQGZEes

Easiest outcome would be if there are retaining screws just need to be retightened and the dash repositioned. One can only hope until reality happens.

Thanks Ash,

Yeah I do have the RM & have thought about the dash reposition & re-tighten but not sure what will avail from this. The centre console will be a pain cos that woodgrain trim is tight as & I don't want to risk breaking it. They're kinda hard to find 😕

I've had a panel beater adjust the door to it's best/correct position lately which has helped but still the problem exists. I will also look to modify the door trim but not sure I can even do this without a proper look at it. We'll see.

Cheers,

8 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

woodgrain trim is tight as & I don't want to risk breaking it.

Possibly warmer weather and use of silicone spray will reduce the risk as well as the usual softly softly approach.

• Thanks 1