peterbill

Radiator Top Tank Discoloured

My radiator top tank on my sx6 had discoloured from black to a yellowish colour and my mechanic recommended I replace it immediately as he said because it's plastic it was about to blow, is this correct?

I've searched online and can find no mention of plastic radiator tanks letting go after they become discoloured.

I had him replace it as I trust him & it wasn't an expensive exercise for the peace of mind.

However, I'm now living overseas for a few years and my camry v6 here has the same issue of the top tank of the radiator turning yellow in colour, and here it's proving very difficult to source a new radiator, so if it's not true I'll stop looking for a new radiator as the car's running fine

On 4/21/2019 at 11:47 AM, peterbill said:

My radiator top tank on my sx6 had discoloured from black to a yellowish colour and my mechanic recommended I replace it immediately as he said because it's plastic it was about to blow, is this correct?

Not going to disagree but the discolouration is an indicator that the plastic is aging. I checked online and the best information was that the plastic wears from the inside and the life of a radiator is approx. 10 years. After about 15 years, the original radiator on my 1998 Camry started to have a slight leak around the top plastic tank so immediately bought a replacement from eBay. 

Radiator in my 2006 Aurion is about 12 years old and is only slightly discoloured/faded. Now got a radiator in my eBay watchlist.